AJ named in sexual assault

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NYY, Nov 17, 2014.

1. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Do you make a deal on something like rape/sexual assault if you're innocent?

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

No, I'm asking because hat said at this point its too late to make a deal, if I'm understanding him correctly. I figured, why negotiate a deal before there was proved enough evidence to go to trial? If I'm innocent, I fight it to the end, if they made a good enough case to indict and I really think I did something wrong, that's when I start asking for deals. I never followed the process enough to understand it. I assumed you could negotiate a deal all the way up to before the prosecution rested their case.

3. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

One thing I know for certain...and I cannot possibly say it enough. DON'T FREAKING RAPE!

This is not a statement declaring a rape did or did not occur. I suppose that will come out over tiime. However, it is a statement saying, regardless of whether it happened or not, DON'T RAPE!

4. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

There had to be girls lining up for blocks to bang this dude. Why force some girl? Ask her to leave and bring in the next.

I'm not saying he did it, I'm just saying, a star football player should be banging cocktail waitress two at a time.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Innocent people take plea deals every day. Usually the poorest and most ignorant amongst us, at that.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It happens sometimes. Depends on the case against you.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It can be aggravated if there is another person that aids them and they use force to accomplish the act. There are other ways for it to be aggravated, but I believe that is the basis of why AJ is charged with it.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Absolutely. There are no hard and fast positions before an indictment. There's still a chance to create the narrative. Once you're charged with rape, that is all anyone will remember. The ultimate disposition becomes secondary.

9. hatvol96

You can try to negotiate anytime. Once your attorneys proclaim your innocence from the mountaintop and the DA has an aggravated rape indictment in hand, there's not much to talk about.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Routinely. If he was interesting in dealing, he'd have been lined up at the DA's office wanting to waive his right to an indictment and plead to something.

11. Tenacious D

Who represents AJ?

12. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Tim Dillard

13. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

So at this point the Rubicon has been crossed, and the end result will more or less be black or white?

14. hatvol96

I'd be more than a little surprised if that isn't how it plays out.

15. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Seems like rape cases where the parties are familiar and there is some degree of voluntariness in being at a house/hotel whatever are difficult cases to prosecute.

I am assuming this is not like the Vandy case where someone filmed criminal acts.

Although, from what I know about this case there is at least one witness besides the victim that might testify that a rape happened.

Is the other woman cooperating with the State?

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The woman that went home a few hours later as if nothing happened? She seems far from credible.

17. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I am not sure.

I thought I remember hearing about a woman who claimed she was raped but would not press charges. Maybe she was from Florida or something. Have no idea how accurate I am remembering.

Point is, though, that I believe cases like this are difficult to prosecute. Having a witness who can corroborate large parts of the victim;s story would help the State immensely.

Was there a woman there who left as if nothing had happened?

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There was another girl that went home and didn't press charges

19. hatvol96

Exactly. There's a big difference in choosing not to be drawn into a fecal blizzard and acting "as if nothing happened."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  20. Tenacious D

How should a recently raped woman appear, so as to maintain her credibility?

And as a follow-up: how would you know?