Old White People Still Love Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Apr 23, 2015.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I laugh every time

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

What will ultimately happen if the market continues to dry up here is things will flip and the NHL will be more Canadian, with only teams north of the 40 degree parallel remaining in the US. Which is whatever. My team is older than the NHL anyway.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

All those guys are trying not to straight up laugh at him. Probably the best work Dennis Condrey has ever done in maintaining his composure.

4. hatvol96

I like the NHL. They've just done a fabulous job of marginalizing their sport with constant labor strife.

5. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Exactly. That's the biggest issue with the MLS. The tradition is a big factor, but if the MLS was the best league in the world, it would be significantly more popular. It's unfair to gauge the popularity of soccer by looking at the popularity of the MLS.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Hard to imagine them ever getting on par with the European leagues, but they've closed the gap more than I thought they would these last 10 years.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And over expansion. imho. But I have watched 2 minutes of NHL hockey ever.

8. hatvol96

Put Messi and Ronaldo in the MLS and they would be as big as LeBron.

9. hatvol96

True. They are in a bunch of markets that make no sense.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Find me some data showing the popularity of baseball among young people of hispanic descent.

11. kidbourbon

If you don't believe that parents are pushing their kids away from football and that there are very good reasons for this, you haven't been paying attention.

The difference between between football and baseball here is twofold:
    1. they're still watching football on tv. They still like it.
    2. whereas, with football, parents push them into other sports because of safety concerns, with baseball, parents are dying for their kids to play, but the kids rightly think the game blows.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. MLS is a retirement league. Great players come here for their twilight years. Fill up the league with the best players in the world in their primes, and it would be extremely popular. Comparing the talent of MLS to leagues like the EPL and La Liga is like comparing the talent of the NBA to College Hoops.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  13. kidbourbon

I'd go with comparing the talent of the NBA to a European basketball league.

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't watch European basketball leagues, so I don't feel like I should speak about their talent.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but that star power is steeped in playing soccer, which Americans have proven to care nothing about.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

then why would it not have migrated here, where the pay climbed drastically in sports long before the rate hikes moved to Europe.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but college hoops has no problem generating fan support, even though it isn't littered with the best players in the world.

18. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't even think that's big enough a gap.

19. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Yes, because you can root for local teams.

20. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

How are we going to do it? We have to completely change our youth system. There's no other way to attract top talent in their prime.