Old White People Still Love Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Apr 23, 2015.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't know. I know the Brady Rules and what not have really made the game so different than what I am used to calling football that it looks more like Madden NFL than real football. But that might just be me, of course. 15 years ago I would watch football from Saturday 11am to Monday 11pm. Now, I watch some on saturdays if UT is on, some on Sundays and don't watch either night game unless I have a rooting interest.

But again, that is just me.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Does the female form make you uncomfortable?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

doesn't exactly look like a sport with an intellectual fanbase:

[​IMG]

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I also disagree with this. Maybe it doesn't reveal character or teach life lessons on the professional level, but I think it definitely does that sort of thing on the younger level.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Is that what this is a picture of?

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

basically the only sport I watch these days is football. It's the only sport that I find time to watch. all signs show it's as popular as ever too.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The same can be argued for any sport on the youth level.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Certainly. And each one has different lessons it can teach.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I'm not even sure this is true. If it is, it's only because the NHL is more popular than the MLS.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but it's more popular than euro soccer here too, and the euro stuff is available everywhere now.

Hockey being more entertaining is what it's about.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

It's only more popular than European soccer because most fans have no connection to it whatsoever. Plus it goes on at extremely inconvenient times for US fans.

I don't think hockey is very popular among the younger generation at all.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Not sure that's true. Every time a meaningful European club tours America, they sell out stadium after stadium. Nobody outside a few niche cities realizes the NHL exists til the playoffs.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

they sell out big city stadiums as a novelty. I don't think they'd have any prayer of making seasonal financials work here.

All big game season sports struggle until the playoffs.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

exactly. nfl games in London average 83K a game. doubt they do that with a full time team.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

In the US, yes. In Canada, the NHL is huge. 7/30 teams are there.

16. hatvol96

You give the MLS the star power that EPL or La Liga has, they bury the NHL so deep they'd never be found.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's still real to me, dammit

18. hatvol96

One of the better YouTube moments ever. The look on Terry Funk's face is priceless.

19. hatvol96

Was talking about America. Also, there are some really small markets with nothing else going on in that Canadian group.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Well crap.