Old White People Still Love Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Apr 23, 2015.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Don't look at Florida. They pack the arena with Canadians all the time.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Look at the attendance numbers. The tournament is the only thing that sells.

3. hatvol96

Not true. The World Cup murders everything but the Super Bowl on TV, which is where the money is, here.

4. hatvol96

Eurobasket is far closer to the NBA than MLS is to the big time.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...rld-cup-olympics-bcs-nba-finals-world-series/

world cup final was the 23rd ranked sporting event in America last year. 2nd highest world cup match was 49th. below such events as: Bears/49ers week 2, Cardinals/Cowboys Week 9, and Giants/Seahawks week 10.

average size for a world cup match was around 6 million viewers. compare that to march madness which averaged 11 million viewers in the US. given the fact that the world cup games are extremely limited and every 4 years that doesn't strike me as numbers indicating a broad interest in the sport.

6. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Ehh.. It's pretty much all just NFL and the occasional Olympic event in front.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

those were by far the highest rated matches. once again you are talking about an event that has a very limited number of matches. the ratings SHOULD be higher than a regular season nfl game or random Olympic broadcast. the world cup final and the USA game are games that attracted a ton of casual soccer fans.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

If that's the case, shut down all other sports.

Look at the non NFL/Olympics numbers. World Cup is high up, and I don't think that accounts for mass viewings.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Where are you getting the 11 million average for March Madness?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I hardly think comparing to sports that have 80+ meaningless games a year seems appropriate. that's why I compared to march madness. the championship tournament part of the season of a fairly unpopular US sport.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Haven't looked at the numbers. Do they count people watching in bars too?

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they may be playing with the numbers certainly (i.e. number of people watching all the stations at one time). are world cup games ever simultaneous? not sure what would be apples to apples then. perhaps the elite eight since those are individual games?

16. hatvol96

For mostly four games running at a time. Everyone in the media business has long since realized Neilsen numbers are suspect. If anyone believes more people watched West Virginia - Maryland than watched Brazil-Germany, I want to do business with them.

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How do the numbers for this year's World Cup compare to that of the last one? Supposedly interest soccer is growing in America. It would grow significantly faster if we had big time players playing entire seasons here in their prime. Forget Messi and Ronaldo. Even just pulling average to slightly above average players from those leagues would probably be a significant talent jump.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Way up.

19. kidbourbon

20. kidbourbon

But you are aware that when players out of college don't get drafted, they go play overseas, yes? Wayne Chism, Scotty Hopson, et al.

Is this your homework Larry?