Old White People Still Love Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I understand how it works. Was just stating I'd go to more games if the beer and peanuts were cheaper.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I would think pro wrestling speaks for itself. If you read homoerotic undertones into it, that is what you get. Doesn't bother me one way or the other. Now, let Jethro in section Y know that football is filled with such innuendo. Watch his reaction.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I see your Breakfast Club reference in all of this, kmf.

4. hatvol96

Bullshit. Show me an NFL team currently losing money and I'll show you someone engaged in wildly creative accounting. TV alone keeps them in the black.

5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

No they don't.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

And I was just stating ways to ease your concerns.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this answer makes little sense to me.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If NFL teams were losing money, they wouldn't have any problem opening their books for the players association.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't disagree, but if you've ever seen a business plan for an nfl purchase the valuation has nothing to do with profits. it's all based on some bigger idiot coming down and paying you a crapload more. but either way, there's plenty of money around to pay for any settlements. and surely if the risks to playing football are what people are worried about then the nfl will just require the players to sign a document saying they are aware of the risks.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I do not believe any NFL teams are losing money. Not for a moment. It just isn't possible with television and merchandising.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

"Read homoerotic undertones into it?" What does that even mean? It's a bunch of half/mostly naked dudes rolling around grabbing and hugging each other. You don't have to read anything into it to see that it's a production full of homoeroticism, no different than football. And you posted multiple times about the homoerotic element of football being a negative one. So I'm still not sure how it can be negative for one sport and not matter for another.

Also, I'm not sure why you think the average WWE fan would react any differently in said situation. You think your run of the mill WWE fan sees and recognizes the homoeroticism of the sport? You think the typical WWE fan even knows what homoeroticism means?

12. hatvol96

It's not negative in either. WWE fan doesn't care. NFL idiot would be outraged at such an assertion.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And if I owned an NFL franchise right now, you can bet your ass I am selling, and selling today. Football is going to have to change the way it is played in the future to survive, and I do not think people will pay to watch a watered down product.

Take all of my predictions with a grain of salt, of course.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't think either demographic is going to be pleased with the assumption they might be gay for liking the sport.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

He's saying such tones are only meaningful to someone if they wish them to be. Heck, the history of sports going back to the Classical era is "homoerotic" in a literal sense. That doesn't mean everyone responds to it thus.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if I had a couple of billion I'd buy an nfl franchise too. why the hell not? I don't think the average person is going to care that the product is watered down. the nfl and college football are as popular as ever for a reason.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If I want to spend a day at the ballpark, I have to drive 6-8 hours round trip and spend the money for the full tank of gas to get me there and back. It costs me no money or extra time to drive 2 minutes to a movie theater. Maybe you can't completely relate because you're financial situation is better than mine at the moment, but surely you see the downside to 8 hours in a car during a single day.

Once at the baseball game, I sit in the hot sun and it makes me want to drink a cold beer. That costs $13. I could drink water that I bought outside the stadium for much cheaper, yes, but the cold beer sounds much better. At the movies, I sit in a cool, dark room and watch the film. Nothing about the situation pushes me to want to pay the outrageous prices put on soft drinks.

Thus, I go to movies occasionally and baseball games rarely.

I don't see why this makes little sense to you.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

See droski's response and my response to his response below.

Exactly. It's like he's looking at himself as the example of WWE and the biggest redneck imagineable for the football fan in this scenario. Chances are, if picked at random, the fan of either sport is going to be bothered.

So why does he assume that they're meaningful for the average football fan and not for the average wrestling fan? That's my point.

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Too many things are available now to pass some time.

This is the Achilles heel of baseball.