Obama to ensure overtime for all

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, May 17, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't agree it will indistinguishable before very long, but call centers are hardly the backbone of our economy anyway. half the population was once farmers. half the population was once in manufacturing. humans adapt. that's what we do. but even if said Armageddon is coming as you suggest, i'm not sure what we can do about it.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

There may be nothing we can do about it. But I prefer to look and work on it before hand than just wait around and see how it all comes through the sieve.

And I hope I am wrong. But I think the writing is on the wall, personally. I didn't believe this a year ago. But seeing what my wife's company is doing, certain articles in the news and talking to a father of a boy scout in my son's troop that does robotic work for a company has changed my mind.

Edit: and I have surprised myself as I have gone more Left as I have gotten older. Back in the early 90s I was a Limbaugh listening hard Right guy.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  3. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

You'd like south dakota.
    It's windy.
    Bring a sweater.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those South Dakota jobs are all frozen due to oil prices. Probably the workers' fault for moving to a job instead of just getting another one.

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I wonder if the job market would be helped by:

1. Deporting 20 million illegals
    2. Penalizing companies for moving operations out of country
    3. Stop signing trade deals that gut American enterprise and workers
    4. Address our trade imbalances with cheating countries like China

(Trump! Trump! Trump!)

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The core reason that Google bought YouTube was to serve as an educational platform.

Good, bad, right, wrong, like, dislike it - in 10-20 years, a large part of education will be online and at the learner's pace.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

And in 50 years, learning will be done via direct brain download.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

those are still humans giving the lectures. and online education blows. and I think google has made a fortune on youtube's non educational programming.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This will somehow, someway turn around and screw over the people this was intended to help. So don't get too excited.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I know I don't have the type of personality/makeup to try it.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

certainly not helped by 2 and 3 (since 3 is a fabrication by trump and Bernie in the first place)

12. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I have 8 left. Fine with me.

13. MWR

MWR Contributor

Where are they gonna get the donors?

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That sucks. I ll be on the wrong side of the grass.

15. Volalum

Volalum Member

Absolutely it will. Also going to screw over people that it shouldn't have affected at all, but it will.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not surprised the thread title wasn't pointed out to be wildly inaccurate.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you have no appreciation for showmanship

18. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I don't think you're wrong, but 'when' is the real question. I think the closer we get to the singularity the more challenging it becomes to balance lost roles with new. Some types of automation we're seeing today are pretty incredible in scope, and have encroached on the white collar world. The dynamic is changing.

Some professions will be safe long-term and I think the trades will be slow to automate, but it's definitely coming. I agree with Dros about professions rooted in relationships remaining secure for a bit. I read something recently which suggested people skilled in building relationships and empathy will be coveted in the workforce of the future. They still need to have a brain, though.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Damn. Needing a brain rules me out!

But also wages will plummet as more people will be after the shrinking job pool. For the record, I do not think it will be the Apocalypse. We will adapt, but i hope we don't screw ourselves so badly it will cause a lot of unnecessary suffering.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

someone has to be the robot overlord and I doubt that person will be poorly paid.