Obama to ensure overtime for all

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, May 17, 2016.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Nothing, of course. But I do not believe in "it has always worked" as the standard fall back. Not saying you have not examined it, and are just quoting dogma, but I think we are on the threshold of a big change in the economic systems of the world.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not convinced these changes are any greater movements than the industrial revolution, the internet, etc etc etc. the govt doesn't adapt as quickly as the private sector and that's what change requires. every generation we've seen a change that puts certain people out of work and other people as more desired and creates jobs. I don't see that changing.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yep. I recently read a study which showed the increasing levels of stress as people moved up the success ladder. I'm not suggesting we feel pity for these folks, but there are trade-offs; nearly always in work/life balance.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I have a couple as clients and I wouldn't trade their lifestyle for mine even despite the fact they made many millions more than I do. these people have no relationship with their children and aren't really enjoying the money, or at least IMO, they'd probably disagree with me. they are also the type that are a little nuts and probably couldn't sit and smell the roses if they wanted to.

5. NorrisAlan

I hope you are right. I just don't see any new jobs coming on line to replace those lost, however. Any new industry will start off automated.

Perhaps we will all have to return to feudalism and work on the owners property all of our lives!

But seriously, if we lose 40 million jobs to automation, and only add 100,000 to manage to automation, what is going to fill that void? Just pulling numbers out of my ass of course.

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I'm not saying that only unskilled jobs can be automated, but we still have a contingent in our country that believes anyone should have a job that gives them a middle class wage so long as they are willing to work. Why do people think this way? The golden days people long for were an anomaly.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what we will see is manufacturing return to this country, not just manufacturing in this country becoming more efficient. i'm not sure there are 40 million manufacturing jobs in this country total, let alone 40 million jobs that can be lost. and the number of manufacturing jobs in this country has been dropping for decades while output has stayed pretty much the same. this is nothing new, except that finally it will be cost efficient to produce goods in the US which surely can't be a net negative to the middle class.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You're going to see more cottage industry and local growth as people desire more of a story and uniqueness instead of cookie cutter mass produced items.

9. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I valued my employees, paid them well over minimum, always paid overtime. Many of my ex-employees are friends still today.

10. NorrisAlan

But it isn't just manufacturing jobs. Look at the thread on truck driving. This is the point. Jobs we used to think were immune to automation are suddenly looking very susceptible. Take your job for instance. Probably won't be long you will see a bigger system of computers (like Turbo Tax for investing) doing all of that kind of work.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and I don't think that is rare either. i'd gladly pay, and do pay, someone 20% over market rate if they are more efficient, follow up on things they hand off (i.e. don't assume that someone else will just do what you ask), get to work on time, etc etc.

12. NorrisAlan

This I can see, as well as local small farms, etc. But will that be enough to live on or will there need to be some guaranteed income?

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I support a guaranteed income if we could cut all other social welfare programs.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

But we've been moving more and more to a service economy forever. My job is unoutsourcable and that is a major reason why I chose it. we have "roboadvisors" and before that fidelity and vanguard have been around forever for those who don't think that individual financial planning and investment management are worth the money. just like turbotax and accounting. someone, in particular the super rich, will want something more personalized for accounting. accountants are unoutsourcable too or at leas. jobs that are about relationships are good jobs.

15. NorrisAlan

I heard truck drivers say the same thing. And people would always need mail delivery. Nothing is safe, not now.

16. NorrisAlan

Would probably be zero need for any other programs if there was a GI.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

any job that requires personal relationships and generates revenue is safe. jobs that provide a service that is easily replaceable are not. this is why people have no qualms switching their cable provider, but generally don't get rid of their doctor.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I agree with this but I don't think it would stay that way overtime

19. NorrisAlan

What about your job requires a personal relationship? I see my financial adviser once or twice a year for an hour. Now, perhaps you are dealing with super-high end clients, and perhaps that is different. But if I could offer them a program, complete with a CGI face and voice, that does everything you do for .1% of their gain versus your (guessing here) 3% of their gain, you don't think they would jump on that?

I just don't see anyone's job completely safe, any longer.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

What the hell? How? Your made up spec?