Jalen Hurd is the best running back since...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, May 27, 2016.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was gonna say something along the lines of "do you think Kentucky goes 10-2 against that schedule, as mediocre as it may have been?"

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The sec has been extremely top heavy the past few years too.

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

He figured out a way to do it last year against Oklahoma, Florida, and Arkansas and almost did it at against a South Carolina team without a head coach. No reason to think he won't do it again this season.

4. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Hate to say you are right......but, you're right

5. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Webb was better than Lewis, and by a lot. That's not even a knock on Jamal, who was a fantastic back. Webb just was what he was.

1. Webb
    2. Lewis
    3. Henry
    4. Graham
    5. Stephens

Hurd has a chance to jump to #3 with a stellar season.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Webb may have been the most talented of that group. Or any UT group you put together.
    Not to slight him for a career ending injury but I won't put him on top for that reason.

My top 5 would have Lewis, Henry, Stephens, Cobb, and Hurd in it. with Webb, Graham and Garner in the next group.

Hurd will move to the top with a good year and breaking the career rushing record (which I think he does if he doesn't get hurt). He gets a star for running in an offense with a mediocre passing QB and a mediocre - bad OL (his first 2 years) this will be the first year he has run behind an above average OL, and I still don't know that this OL will be as good as what the rest on the list ran behind.

7. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Oh and that was a great game in which to have a great game. One of the most entertaining and satisfying wins I have ever seen as a Vol fan.

8. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

The challenge with rankings is some of the shortened careers (for various reasons), but I would put Reggie Cobb higher than Travis Stephens and Jay Graham. Of course, my issue with Jay Graham was the Florida Fumble game so my judgment may be clouded (same issue FOREVER with Arian "Vol with a Knife" Foster). I am also on the fence as to whether Charlie Garner ranks ahead of Stephens.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

northwestern is very erratic. they show up for some games and don't for others. that's always happened under fitz. I imagine lack of depth is a major problem later in the season.

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You're right - Garner was a much better back than Stephens, and I wiffed on that one.

11. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Travis Stephens will always be one of my favorites just because he single handedly defeated UF in the Swamp in 01. That has to be one of my all time favorite games in UT football history.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm saying they're in the same ballpark. Northwestern would be in the lower third of the SEC much like KY. I could have used Missouri or South Carolina as easily but saying they're like a Kentucky just sounds worse so I went with that.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I can't wait until we have a QB that we can debate that he is the best since Peyton

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

They were better last year than any of those 3 teams

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Hardesty getting no love.

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He would make my second 5 somewhere.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He gets some, but we've had some great framing backs. Hell, Majors gets no mention.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Rajion Neal, anyone? Anyone? Hello?

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

No mention of Little Man Stewart, either. Just makes you realize the sheer amount of RB talent that has come through this school.

20. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Hardesty is one of my favorite underrated Vols. His senior year was a good one. Dude just never could stay healthy until then.

He could have been a good pro running back IMO if not for the injuries.