Post-Florida thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Sep 24, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not gonna steal Hatvol's numbers.

A. Finally.

B. I was encouraged by improved blocking even in the first.

C. Really liked how the WR's stepped up in the second.

D. Dobbs is the most enigmatic player in my lifetime at Tennessee. He's not a great quarterback, but he is a great player that plays quarterback. He's hopelessly flawed as a passer, but undeniably a hard-nosed player who can take a game over. We will see better quarterbacks and better athletes, but we probably won't see the likes of him again. He's a strange one, in a good way.

E. Was it a fluke that we started attacking the middle and using misdirection in the second half, or are we for some reason avoiding doing that as a way to mitigate risk? The stupid first halves have to stop. We need to play to win from the start. And it isn't just execution, it IS playcalling, scheme and even to some extent fundamentals.

F. **** Florida. You got trucked by ducks. You just lost to a trumpet player-coached team with a corpse at OC.

G. What's Shoop's deal? Again, night and day on the playcalling. We have to be willing to get burned some to dictate to the offense. We aren't good enough to sit back.

H. Barnett finally looked like I hoped he would in the second half. Not sure what changed. He was lined up on another side?

I. I hate Jones as a coach and perhaps as a man.

J. Where do we go from here? UGA is clearly beatable. Not so sure about TAMU and Bama isn't even worth talking about until we have to. Looks like a 10 win season is right on the table, at worst.

K. Is this enough to turn the tide on recruiting? Probably not. So this may actually be the darkest timeline for the short and medium term future of Tennessee overall. But I will take all the joy I can in this moment.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Lyle still sucks.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barnett finally got a qb not running a spread option. He could get off and get to a qb drop spot.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Dobbs is a good, would be great college qb under any other staff, qb that's carrying an imbecile

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Nah. Never going to be accurate enough. Almost every throw is off target.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, I line towards you on this. But he is clearly a talented dude and I couldn't tell you what position he should play other than QB. I assume he could be a great system QB for the right system.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's plenty of good college qbs who were inaccurate.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's what I'm trying to say

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I miss LunaFreak.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He's a decent runner and has to keep quite s but to make defenders respect misdirection. He also has to hit a few drags or TE posts to make the safeties and LBs go through reads. You could see the difference in the second half. We ran a wheel, drags and hit a TE post off the fake to Hurd. We also kept it half the time. The LBs were frozen enough that even our line could help.

Right side of the line has to remain as it was today. They are a good pair and Weismann helps in center. It's a better team. Botch doing something with Thomas was just stupid.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, Todd Kelly Jr was fantastic today. He's another great player who seems to be a great person and a quality student as well. We have some good individuals on this team.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Don't know who we had in town for visits, but they've gotta be having a great time

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And they ran first, with better wheels than Dobbs. He rips off big ones now because the run is a surprise.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Gotcha.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

None of my comments are to say he wouldn't be better with real coaching. Our offensive coaching is embarrassing.

I watched the first half with s couple college buddies and they asked 50 times who coached the offense and when we're getting a new coach.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

20 4 and 5 stars according to some guy on my Facebook.

Apologies for stepping on your turf, 182.

17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That super-low shoulder dip is one of the nastiest things I've seen from any DE.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's like watching someone really good at the Limbo, but forward instead of backwards. That shoulder gets so low.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You can tell he's ran a nautical metric shit-ton of ring drills. It's pretty sweet.

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am pretty sure it is against the law and a jailable offense, that dip of his. It is that nasty.