Netflix- Last Chance U

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 13, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

john david booty hardly had Heisman level qb play and he was 100X better than matt barkley as a frosh. same for mark sanchez. there is a reason carroll flipped his lid when sanchez went pro and it wasn't because he thought he'd get decent qb play out of his true frosh.

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I admit that it's annoying for me to say the same thing over and over, but against all odds I'm hoping you'll grasp it at some point.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He didn't, as he was coming off a severe knee injury. Foster started, but between he, Coker and Hardesty the carries were pretty evenly split at the beginning of 2006.

Then, by default due to injuries and pot, Foster was the last man standing

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just laughed my ass off.

5. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

I'm pretty sure Clausen didn't lose until the bowl game. First game I remember him playing was against Bama

6. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Bump.

Anyone here completed the second season?

I am about 6 episodes in so far.

7. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Just binged second season. Never saw the first though. Buddy Stephens sucks.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Haven' started yet. Season 1 was fascinating.

9. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

He's terrible. He gets by on raw talent and several of his assistant coaches' capabilities.

He brings next to nothing in regards to motivation or coaching ability.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Worse, he's a selfish human being who doesn't even care what ultimately happens to these guys (imo). He's literally using them like livestock. The most important part of being a coach is making sure your players are getting something out of their time under you.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

just watching the first ep of this season... What this show really makes me think is that the NFL needs a minor league. Making these guys "stay D-1 eligible" is a waste of their time and a waste of state resources. They want to play a sport, and there is money for them to make doing it at that level. Don't make guys go through the motions of school if they don't want to do it.

12. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Agreed. Honestly, one of Buddy's chief problems is that he doesn't seem to get (or just doesn't care) that not all players respond positively to the "hard ass" persona he exudes. He treats most of his players and staff like dog crap, and offers little in the way of offering actual coaching advise or constructive criticism. He's a broken record with practically everything he does yell about in games or practice and it offers little substance.

He spends a few episodes this season making you think he's trying to "reform" after admitting he didn't like how he saw himself in season 1.

All I can say is give it a few episdoes.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's what I guessed. If only because when the pressure is on and the goal is championships, you're going to revert to the things you did when you won championships before.

And he isn't necessarily in the wrong, if the chief goal of his job is to win championships. Which it pretty much is. He sucks, but everything he is stems from a bad situation and system. Let these kids get paid to play somewhere. Let Buddy coach them there. Let people who want to be students be students and play collegiate sports if they want to. Just dumb seeing these guys having to go through the motions on something that just literally give no shits about.

14. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Some of the scenes with Mrs. Wagner and the players are downright hard to watch as far as the actual school part goes.

I'm not sure how I like the group of them compared to last season. Many of them mean well they're just victims to a terrible upbringing and bad educational system.

There's also a few duds in there that are entirely unsympathetic. Kamonte Carter might be the worst out of the entire bunch.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess that's real.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of athletes get passed on simply because they're athletes. It doesn't do them favors

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know it happens, but it didn't happen in the departments I was in. I know it happens because you could tell they weren't used to it. One hockey player sticks out as being utterly shocked he wasn't allowed to just retake everything towards the end of the class to pass.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm talking about on the way to college. Schools will "help" them get to college

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, the athletes at my school were pretty good students. And not very good athletes. Interesting how the larger high school stages act a lot more like the corruption on the college level.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Some of it isn't corruption, it's this is his only chance out, we'll give him a C.