The New Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I think it's pretty clear to anyone with half a brain what he is saying here. It wasn't rigged. But only because it was stopped and Conor wasnt in the fight the last 4 rounds. Had the fight went the distance and it mirrored the first 4 rounds (Against, at worst 2-2) he would have lost the decision. The judges would never have given him the fight. So in turn he had to play the only hand he could.Which was a shit hand if we are being honest.

2. GahLee

He's not dumb. He didn't think he would out point him. He k we he has to KO Floyd and do it early. We are talking the greatest defensive boxer of all time, last prime or not, throwing tough man competition haymakers would have just sped up the gassing and shortened the fight. He haa to be a little technical about it.

3. GahLee

Somebody is completely ignoring all of boxings bullshit decisions since it's inception. It's no different than how the NBA refs it's superstars.

4. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Why would it have mirrored the first four rounds? You clearly aren't understanding the strategy there. Why do you think a fighter who never KOs anyone was able to get a TKO in the 10th round? He was setting him up from the get go.

5. Unimane

I don't think McGregor cared one whit about this and was there to swing away. It's just some bullshit excuse being used by MMA guys. Yeah, there have been a ton of shitty decisions, but that wasn't why McGregor fought the way he did. He knew that, the longer the fight, the more likely it was that Mayweather would wear him down and out point him with his skill and boxing savvy.

6. GahLee

It won't happen because no boxer is willing to take the risk. The payday is there.

7. Unimane

For who? McGregor switched over because it was an obscene pay day against a 40 year old that can't knock anyone out, but what other MMA fighter is doing the same? I don't see them too eager to jump into the ring.

8. GahLee

Does it matter? He lost rounds to a guy who had never boxed professionally. A guy that's been boxing before he could read, lost rounds to a guy with as much professional boxing experience as you or I. The opposite doesn't happen.

9. GahLee

I'd he's so much better, why not pick him apart from the beginning? Why get punched 111 times when you don't have to?

10. Unimane

Let me get this straight, you are impressed by the fact that an MMA fighter in his prime was able to take 2 rounds, that the boxer wasn't even trying to win, from a 40 year old with a two year lay off, in his last fight, and then got knocked out by the boxer who hadn't done it (legitimately) since 2007? Your standards must be super low.

Again, you still don't understand what you were watching last night.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  11. GahLee

Both parties. Conor is a superstar athlete. Not many of them in the UFC or boxing. But you are tripping if you don't think people would fall all over themselves to see McGregor vs any high level boxer.u see MMA rules.

12. Unimane

Seriously, have you never watched Mayweather fight before? Ever? Did a single punch of McGregor hurt Mayweather? Was McGregor shot by the 8th round, ready to get taken down by Mayweather? Welcome to a Mayweather fight. This isn't a Mike Tyson YouTube video, this is a different kind of boxer.

13. Unimane

Not for even close to the type of money they got for last night's fight would it be worth it for a champion boxer to change their focus for a year or whatever to fight some gimmick fight, which is why this stuff never happens in either direction. Last night was a one time deal with some very special circumstances.

14. GahLee

Stop using his age and layoff as a crutch for propping up boxing. It's weak as ****. Conor has had a lifetime layoff from boxing. He had no business being the ring with him.

Anderson Silva is well past his prime and hasn't fought in awhile. Put him up against Andre Ward in an mma setting and Andre Ward gets ****ing obliterared.

49-0 vs 0-0, he won rounds, landed clean punches and went 10 rounds. Age, layoff, style, it doesn't matter what crutch you use. None of that should have happened.

15. GahLee

Is say that uppercut didn't feel good and Conor landed a pretty hard body shot in the 8th or 9th round that sent Floyd in to the corner and in turtle mode.

In the end, those questions are irrelevant. If you can't concede an inch for what Conor was able to do, then we should just agree to disagree. Nobody is saying he lit Floyd up or that he dominated rounds. Just that he was competeitve for half of a 10 round fight.

16. GahLee

I'd bet every dollar I've ever made Conor vs Mayweather at a UFC PPV would crush it.

17. Unimane

None of what should have happened? McGregor didn't do anything last night. You really buy this idea that McGregor won a couple of rounds where Mayweather was really trying to fight and win. Mayweather was there to win the fight and being patient for a few rounds is part of the deal. You really don't know boxing, clearly, and certainly not Mayweather.

And, yes, it matters that his opponent was a 40 year old over the hill technical fighter. This was a guy who never knocks out anyone and he still KOed McGregor last night. McGregor fights either of the two dudes fighting in a couple of weeks and he really is in serious danger. Those guys are killers and wouldn't be patient like Mayweather was.

18. Unimane

Well, yeah, if you throw a bunch of punches and the guy opposite you doesn't respect your power by simply standing there, trying to walk you down, then you'll get a few connections. I never thought McGregor would land zero punches, I just thought they would have no effect and they didn't.

19. Unimane

Probably, but Mayweather isn't doing it as an old man against a champion like McGregor in his prime. Floyd at 29 would've been a very interesting deal, though.

20. GahLee

No. It wouldn't have. It would be a blood bath.