This is what you get

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Mar 29, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yep, expectations were already stupid at UK; now, they'll reach an epic level of stupidity that no human can reach. I'd leave in a heartbeat if I was him.

2. VolFrmNashville

VolFrmNashville New Member

I don't know for sure, but I imagine the Knicks have some money they can throw at him. Not to mention MSG. It'll be interesting to see what they do. I wonder if the AD at UK has already mentioned an extension?

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

UK can't pay what the Knicks can, not even close. I'm sure they're talking extension, but if the Knicks want him and he's interested, there's nothing UK can do.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I agree. "Cal isn't a good bench coach" somehow became like the [uck fay]ing industry-standard cliche. But it isn't true at all. I press people on it, and I hear "well, he should be winning with all that talent" as their response.

It's at this point that I roll my eyes, do the jerk off motion with my hand, and then tell them that what they just said doesn't support a conclusion that Cal is a bad bench coach. Then they get flustered and say that he hasn't been to any final fours becasue they've been vacated. At this point I once again to the jerk off motion with my hand, and remind them that I live in the real world and not a fictional construct created by the NCAA. At this point they get really flustered and question my fanhood. I can go a number of different directions at this point, depending on whether or not they have a sister and/or a non-deceased mother.

5. VolFrmNashville

VolFrmNashville New Member

Okay yeah I didn't think they could match the Knicks. I'd like to see him there though. It would keep him out of the SEC. Not to mention the sheer meltdown for UK fans would keep me entertained for a long time.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Explain to me why/how Cal is a good bench coach.

7. kidbourbon

We could brainstorm and come up with a dozen ridiculously talented teams that never achieved [penis]. We could come up with a decent list of coaches who have squandered elite talent with mediocre results.

We wouldn't be able to include John Calipari in this discussion at all. He's doing something right.

8. kidbourbon

He wins, and wins, and wins, and wins.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

With the talent he has had on a lot of his teams, I just find it very hard to believe that he has only won 1 championship. And i mean, Christ, winning it this year isn't really that much of a testament to his coaching skill. I don't want to fall into the description from your previous post, but hypothetically, if he hadn't won it this year, what would you be saying about him? The same thing?

10. kidbourbon

I think it's wise for him to stay a bit longer. If he leaves now, there will be a lot of ADs who won't want anythng to do with the guy who is known to bail after three years. And he knows he needs college as a backstop. He could fail at the pro level, and he knows that.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Do you honestly think that if he leaves now, goes to the NBA, and then tries to come back to college a few years down the road, ADs will pass on him? Give me a break.

12. kidbourbon

But he did win it this year, and that is often how it works with great coaches. Coach K went to like 6 or 7 finals fours (I think...somebody can find the exact number) before he finally won the whole thing. Basketball is a high variance (flukey) game, and sometimes you lose in the championship game because your team can't hit a free throw down the stretch. But that doesn't make you a bad coach. In fact, what makes a good college coach is consistently putting his teams in a position where they have a chance to win it all. He has done that. His last 4 years: championship game; elite eight; final four; ncaa champion. Only good coaches do that.

13. kidbourbon

Only great coaches do that, actually. I'm calling him a great coach.

14. kidbourbon

Kentucky is the top job (arguably) in college basketball. If you bolt UK after three years, that means you'll bolt from anywhere.

ADs will still hire him, but which ones? Not one on the caliber of UK.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I would take 3 years followed by him bolting if it meant he brought the excitement and a national title.

16. kidbourbon

Sounds like we both think he is a pretty good coach.

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not sold he's a good coach, if you are comparing him to the upper tier of college coaches in history. He's certainly a great recruiter. However, it never fails that his teams perform poorly down the stretch of a number of big games that he has coached, including tonight. It's pretty hard to screw up a team with 3-4 lottery picks on it, although he did it two years ago and nearly again tonight had Kansas not shit themselves on a number of occasions.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You read too far into my statement. I would take any coach that brought those results. That doesn't mean i think Cal could do it anywhere outside of UK with the best players in the nation.

19. kidbourbon

Oh, like UMass or Memphis?

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think getting all those egos on the same page is probably the hardest thing a coach can do and he's done it.