O&W Game Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Apr 21, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Maggitt will be back soon and Fugate is probably improving at a pretty fast rate given how recently he made the transition. Some guys can probably be shuffled around as injuries occur.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't expect him to be an AA, but this carter kid may work himself into some third and short packages before he is gone. He has great hands.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Non game related note, but these commercials about the alerts for the tainted food comparing it to an amber alert is ridiculous.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee has 3 Jack LBs which are pretty much DEs, Mo Couch, Walls, Greg Clark, Darrington Sentimore, McCullers, Allan Carson and O'Brien. It's the first time in awhile there has been decent depth on the DL. Tennessee had to start two true freshmen LBs last year.

Common sense should scream out that changing to a defensive scheme that requires more LBs is a bad idea.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Hold on. If Jack LBs are pretty much DEs, how does this scheme require more LBs?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He should definitely get a scholarship. He's not the greatest of athletes but he is a vacuum when the ball is anywhere near him

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It doesn't really, I'm just kind of venting. For years, Tennessee has had walk ons and converted OL on the DL. Finally have depth there, only use 3 of them and leave one DE (maybe two if they go 3 DT sized DL) on the bench for a less effective option at LB.

8. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

In theory, it would appear that the move to the 3-4 gives Tennessee more options at linebacker with the use of the jack.

9. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I like the starting defense. The least concerned I've been about the DL in awhile assuming McCullers lives up to the hype at all. Lathers, Johnson, and Maggitt should be a great trio. LB depth is scary.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, while the second team D didn't look so hot, it's not like all those guys are ever going to be on the field at the same time in a meaningful situation. So if Lathers gets shaken up and Probst or Fugate go in it might not be the end of the world.

We also could see Brewer move full time to LB if needed.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I was surprised Sentimore looked as bad as he did. The starting 11 on D doesn't bother me, it's if there is one injury at LB, it's going to be hard to cover up.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

With the exception of RB, punter and place kicker, Tennessee is good as far as starters go. Lane could be the answer at RB but it was hard to gauge how much he's improved against the 2nd team D. Tom Smith looked pretty good too but it was against the 2nd team.

13. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I liked what the 2nd team oline did. It seems we may have a whole lot od depth there. Did anybody else notice them?

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Running back by committee this year unless Borque is heisman trophy material, which is unlikely.

15. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

This teams only real issue is the kicking positions. Now, with injuries at linebacker, that becomes a major position of concern, but the starters are SEC quality, so if we can avoid injury there, we have CHANCE to have a average to good season.

16. Tar Volon

Agree. I was expecting a lot more from him. Definitely agree on D. We have good starters most places (except, as you say, RB and kicker), but we're paper thin at LB and WR.

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Alden Hill didn't have any stats. Did he play?

18. Tar Volon

Considering that we had Anderson and Gooch starting, I felt worse about the 2nd front seven than I felt good about the 2nd OL. But we did a lot of running behind Kerbyson, and he looked quite good

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Mono. No spring ball since about two weeks ago.

20. Tar Volon

He was listed as injured