O&W Game Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Apr 21, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Lane hasn't really separated from Neal. They had Rivera and Devrin, too.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

They did have Rivera and Devrin. But it was still pretty weak at the skill positions. We're really going to count on Hunter and the newcomers, and there's no way we'll have a running game just with Neal and Devrin.

3. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Blanc should be in HS right now. If he tore it up, it's at least somewhat impressive.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Meh. It's year 3. Time to not be totally crippled by one absence.

5. Tar Volon

Clearly. I'm saying that we don't have personnel at the skill positions right now. I'm not saying it's not the coaches' fault that we don't have personnel. If no running back emerges this year, that's three sophomores and three freshman who haven't proven to be the guy. And at WR, two sophomores, three freshmen, and a JuCo behind Hunter and Da'Rick. If none of those help the team, it's a problem. It's just not necessarily a problem with scheme.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, it's just the OW game. I usually don't get too worked up about it, but we just got done losing to UK. Looking for some reason to be optimistic.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Negavol. We will go 11-1 next year, BOOK IT! Go spread your recruit driving off shit somewhere else. Go cheer for Alabama. BOOM! Oh wait, wrong site...

Seriously, sounds like we have more of the same to look forward to. Hopefully this time next year we can have something to be optimistic about. Like a new head coach for starters.

8. JayVols

His yelling, screaming, and intensity makes him the greatest DC EVER! No other DI-A DC has those qualities. Can't believe he is 50 something and on his first DC gig. He is a diamond that must have been hidden in the Amazon.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I do like his style. I like the intensity. I am absolutely not crowning him as some sort of great DC, but I prefer his style to what we had. That said, he may end up not being nearly as good as Wilcox. We'll just have to see.

10. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I do like his style. I like the intensity. I am absolutely not crowning him as some sort of great DC, but I prefer his style to what we had. That said, he may end up not being nearly as good as Wilcox. We'll just have to see.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah I actually like what I've seen from him this far. And there were some moments from Wilcox that made me think he was learning on the fly.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Looking forward to seeing how much a healthy Hunter and the addition of Patterson changes our O.
    The run game looks better. Its not what it needs to be, but it should be average anyway.
    Our kicking game is scary bad.
    If Bray takes care of the ball, and uses his RBs and TEs when he gets in trouble he should have a stellar year.
    The D has finally got some play makers, but will the changing scheme offset it, that is the question

13. JayVols

Don't get me wrong, I like it too. I was mocking the logic used elsewhere to crown him the next Buddy Ryan. I do like what I see. I'm just not ready to coronate him yet. I think all of us here will wait and see what happens this fall before making that leap. Didn't mean to offend; I just saw that post as a softball to rant about some stupid logic that I've seen. I'm in kind of a smart ass mood. No better way to put that to work mocking the kool aide drinking population, imo. :)

14. JayVols

The General is rolling in his grave. There's absolutely no excuse to be in your 3rd year and not have at least a semi-dependable kicker. I'm fairly well convinced that it's time to declare Palardy a monumental flop and make a concerted effort to rectify the problem with someone else. It's sad when a frat guy that walks on is outkicking the #1 ranked kicker of his class. I would give my left nut for a Jeff Hall. All we have is a Ray Finkle. It's beyond pathetic.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

The yokels on VolQuest are saying the run game looks much, much better. Well, no shit, Lane and Young were running against the 2's

16. Tar Volon

I suspect Dooley feels the same way, since he recruited a kicker for 2012 despite Palardy only being a junior. But seriously, we should've had open tryouts on campus about 15 months ago. I would kill for Jeff Hall. Or James Wilhoit. Or Alex Walls

17. Tar Volon

Lane and Smith*

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The talent level at LB is horrible after the starters.

Lane looked good but it was against a terribly slow 2nd team d.

Bray did well in not forcing things in the first half. I left at halftime due to a teething baby.

The 1st team D was aggressive and tackled well.

Neal really aggravates me. He has all the physical tools to be very good but he hates contact. He needs to watch how Hardesty ran and try to do that. Hell, Da'Rick runs twice as hard as he does.

Patterson and the freshmen WRs had better be good to great from day one.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Was it? I'm going by second hand info from talking to my friend who went. The point still stands.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It really doesn't. Lane looks a lot more comfortable so that's good.

Young needs to go North and south or he will get killed