O&W Game Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Apr 21, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Contracted mono about two weeks ago.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah, I remember that now that you say it. Thanks

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Jack LBs are basically DEs that don't line up on the LOS putting it simply. They still line up in a 3 point stance on the LOS sometimes to give a 40 front look.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Right. I was contesting JG's comment that switching to the 3-4 exacerbates out LB depth issue. Which evidently was just a vent anyways, and I can understand venting about this team. . .

5. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

You people are really absurd. It's painfully obvious how improved Graham has the running game in just a matter of weeks. Yeah, some of the big gains were against the second team, but watch how they run and how they hit holes for the first time in years. No dancing in the backfield, a lot less avoiding hits and falling down. They hit the hole, and fell forward on both first and second team. They also made some good moves to avoid tackles. I laugh at anyone that can truly watch that game and say the running game hasn't improved. Passing wise (and realize this was without Hunter at all and Da'rick barely played) but we were passing across the middle, running shorter routes and not just going deep all the time. Also for the most part Bray and Worley made smart decisions instead of trying to force things. Both qbs had some fantastic throws that they didn't show last year. Throwing balls where only their receiver could go get it or throwing to where the receiver could get it and then get some positive YAC. Defensively the first team was hitting harder than they have the past two years, wrapping up and attacking the ball. The speed differential on both sides of the ball is staggering. Much more fluid as units both defensively and offensively.

When the rest of this year's recruiting class comes in, things should only get better. For those of you complaining that the second string D looked markedly slower than the first string, well no shit, they're the f-ing second string. Do you really think at some point on 3rd and 3 Sunseri is going to send the entire second string out there? No, but there will be moments where a second string guy or two is going to be out there so the first stringers can catch their breath. It's not all peaches and cream, I mean the secondary still has some question marks, behind D Rogers and Hunter we have a bunch of decent receivers who need to improve by August and special teams is god awful (especially Palardy), but you all are writing up stuff as if we're worse than last year.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

another thing to note is the D played reasonably well and they were about as vanilla as could be. They didn't show off anything.

7. Lexvol

Lexvol Guest

I don't want to make Probst out to be an SEC linebacker, but that kid was in position all day. He doesn't get lost.

Here is what I liked about the most meaningless exercise of the year:
    1. Got to meet Groves' beautiful family, got to see Cardinal and OWH again, got to meat OV and his crew and got to hang Bill, Jo and Macon during the game. The company was top notch.
    2. It took about two plays from scrimmage to see that this is the best spring that we have had since Dooley got here.
    3. It was great to see the corners at the line of scrimmage.
    4. Bray and Murray made quicker decisions, and I didn't have to watch Chris Simms hold the ball for 12 Mississippi.
    5. Blanc is already making a joke out of his Rivals rating.
    6. The Vols have some great tight ends if they just use them.
    7. Running backs weren't break dancing behind the line of scrimmage.
    8. Marlin Lane was the MVP of the day and will eventually be an SEC back.
    9. Randolph picked up right where he left off.
    10. Bohannon is going to be ready to go this year.

I remember the last two springs well enough to say that the Vols are light years ahead of where they have been, but the situation is just as we all suspected. McCullers, Pig, and Patterson will have to be immediate contributors. There will be a steep learning curve for this new D. It will look 3/4 speed for the first half of next season. That is just the way it is.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Bill, I put absolutely no stock into spring games. Look at how Bray performed last year in the OW game versus how he did in season.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bill, this is where I'm at in the running game: Neal shouldn't see the field if he's that scared of contact, Young can't carry it 20 times a game, Lane looked good but that 2nd team d was pretty slow and Smith was okay.

That isn't going to get Tennessee over the hump. It's still a team that's going to struggle, imo, against good defenses running the ball.

10. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

as Lex said, the spring game is the most pointless exercise of spring, but it gives us a chance to go down to Neyland, sing Rocky Top and all that. The little things are what I look for in a spring game, not necessarily the big stuff. I saw improvement from the product last fall. That encourages me, enough said.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I do think Lane can be a very good RB, but I'm not sure there's another one there now. Young is a gadget guy who is good, but how many touches can he have a game without breaking down?

12. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

From listening to Dooley, it sounds to me like during the end of spring he was giving Neal his last chance. It didn't show up Saturday, but apparently during practices he's still struggling to hold onto the ball and as you point out, he was the only one not going into the hit. I have no doubts that Smith, Young and most importantly Lane will be the trio carrying this team at the RB position and I'm ok with that. I think I'm higher on Smith than most people though.

13. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

I don't think we saw anything offensively on saturday that we will see in the fall.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Our running backs had a pretty good O&W in 2011, too. I will need to see a lot more from them before I say anything is any better. A lot of folks were ready to claim they had it figured out after the LSU game last season, too.

Everyone was saying the QBs played smart, but I don't know. I didn't watch every play but Worley had at least two other passes he was lucky weren't picked. And without Bray's bomb to Da'Rick (which definitely was a thing of beauty) he was pretty pedestrian.

I agree with Lex about the TEs. I really like Downs and supposedly Clear is a beast. Rivera is already a receiving threat just needs to get the hands more consistent.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I have been on the Smith bandwagon and I think he's a good back. He's not a burner, but he's steady.

Ball security is my biggest issue with Lane and Smith

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Bray threw a lot of balls away that he would usually force. I was glad to see that

17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Neal has never been able to avoid fumbling and with his issues with ck tact the WR/situational RB role from last season makes sense for him. I think Tom Smith is the most North and South RB we have and that was true last year. I hope he can make an impact.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Is Young still the man at punt return, because that muff from Lane was horrid.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

With Hunter, maybe the run game is wide open. If Bray uses the TE underneath and gets those lbs thinking, Lane and company have room to make plays.

I just think schematically the run game was broken and it didn't really change

20. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I guess it is important for me to note that due to being in Afghaniland last year and training the year before this is my first [ddiapos] spring practice. But I still contend I saw improvements from what I saw on the field last year and at least let me hold on to that til the Florida game.