The BBQ Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 9, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I like Pardner's. I haven't eaten there in years. They had a place in Kingsport the last time I had their bbq.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I have always wanted to try that. If it was for length of time it takes I probably would have by now.

I like 18 lb. shoulders or smaller, they make less waste.

May take a couple of those to feed Jay.

3. Beechervol

If its slow cooked the hide is pretty taste. Especially if it is cooked hide down.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I should be around. Closer to gametime we'll make plans

5. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

Do we have / should there be a separate BBQ / Smoking thread? I consider myself better than average at the smoking arts, and wouldn't mind bouncing ideas, gadgets, different meats, rubs, sauce ideas around the forum. I know there are more than a few others here that smoke occasionally.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Just post them here.

7. Beechervol

I have a 5'x5' block pit, with a plywood top on hinges. The blocks are just stacked so I can take it down and move it if needed. The meat sits about 2.5 feet above the floor (coals). I have a separate fire burning in a 55 gal drum that drops the coals that are placed in the pit. The pit is on a concrete pad, off the back of the shed with a metal roof covering it.

I can cook 200 lbs. of pork shoulder (+/-) in one cooking.

8. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I would love to eventually build my own pit. Currently I am cooking using a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain. If I maxed it out I MIGHT be able to get 75 lbs. (precook weight) into it, 3 top and 3 bottom. Most I have done to date is two boneless butts & two briskets at the same time.

I will say that while I consider myself a pretty good cook, using the Weber was a cinch. I can maintain whatever temp I need on overnight cooks using 1.5 bags of charcoal poured in at the start. Everything I have done so far was fantastic, and even though people warn about the troubles with brisket, the first one I cooked was outstanding.

9. Beechervol

Pulled pork is hard to screw up. You can use some techniques and recipes that make it better, but it can still be decent even if you don't.

Chicken, Ribs, and Brisket are different and require more care IMO. I think fat content has a lot to do with that.

10. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I agree. My best investment is a bundle of remote thermometers that allow me to keep track of the temps from my bedroom on overnight cooks.

Recently I've been buying bulk bags of frozen chicken breast at costco, brining them in the bag for 24 hours then smoking all (20 or so) for a few hours, until I hit 160. I usually have some for dinner, then chop the remaning up, bag in batches and freeze. Wife loves it because she can thaw and make tacos, fajitas, whatever in short order after work.

11. Beechervol

Thats pretty high tech webb.

I have not used a thermometer in years.

12. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

I try to keep it as fool proof as possible. Even though the weber maintains good temp, if it start raining or the outside air temp drops overnight I can get out of bed and adjust the vents. I've also found that it helps me determine when to pull meat better. Some brisket can come out hours before others (going by temp.)

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Had lunch at Big Bob Gibson's today. Meh.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My lunch from M&M today.
    2012-03-30_12-41-41_859.jpg

edit - If you can get this to open, it looks pretty awesome. Having issues.

15. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Pardner's is ok, but not as good as Ridgewood. I've not yet tried the Red Pig, but I have heard only good things about it. volfanbill and I will never agree on Ridgewood vs Firehouse. What do you mean no sides? Best bbq beans in existence! Good natural cut fries and plenty of them. Cole slaw is adequate, too sweet. I will give Firehouse the edge on ribs. Phil's Dream House has the best ribs.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Bread of Heaven is going to have a booth at Rossini Fest this weekend. I'll have to see what all the hype is about.

17. CardinalVol

Trust me. It's worth it.

18. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Anyone planning to go to the BBQ Festival in Memphis here in a month?

19. Beechervol

Have always wanted to but never have made it.

20. CardinalVol

Currently 50/50 on driving down. Want to, just not sure it's going to work out.