The BBQ Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 9, 2011.

1. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

There stuff didn't look good on the judges table..

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Also finally made it to sweet p's recently. Ribs were great.

Did not know former lead man from gran Torino was the owner.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Was in Kansas City and hit up Arthur Bryant's and Gates BBQ. Arthur Bryant's BBQ Sausage with Sweet Heat sauce is life-altering. Gates is ok but Bryant's is worth the flight.

I've now had every regional BBQ-style in the United States, except possibly New Mexican BBQ, but whether that qualifies as it's own style is up for debate. After wracking up many miles, I still think I prefer SC mustard-based, followed closely by Eastern NC whole hog.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Volfanjo, I feel like you should be writing books on some of these things. A Ramen noodle book, a BBQ book...

5. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Believe me, if I could figure out a way to make good money doing this I would, but I need to develop a niche. (There are literally 1,000s of bbq books for, example). My real passion is hot dogs, and I've eaten many of the iconic hot dogs in the country. Still trying to make it to Pink's in California and another place in Hawaii. I'm now working through burgers, and just started on noodle houses.

I started a food blog but I am sort of contemptuous of "foodies" so I haven't really publicized it, or know what to do with it at the moment.

6. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

You are food critic par excellence. Love the way you break it down without even a hint of being smug or pretentious.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Wow. Thanks. I appreciate that.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I share your choice of SC BBQ. My father is friends with and use to assist a NC State professor that teaches whole hog and wild game cooking classes at Cashiers NC. They won the NC State hog cooking championship around 1984.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

This morning when I woke up, I was dreaming about being at a BBQ contest eating everybody's entrants. It was glorious. I didn't want to wake up. I thought about going to get some for lunch somewhere but no place can live up to dream BBQ.

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Had Bull's BBQ at a tailgate this weekend. It is the best I've had in Knoxville. I know some of you talked about it before.

Two thumbs way up.

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Whole Hog recently opened in Cherry Hill, NJ. An upgrade of biblical proportions.

12. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Ever eat at the Cherry Hill Diner?

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Finally had full service bbq. Pretty good, not the best, but will return.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I ate at the Original Q Shack in Durham the other day, and it was the best I've had but admittedly the first time I've tried real Carolina BBQ. Do any of you guys --Tar Volon maybe-- have a BBQ recommendation for the stretch of road between Raleigh-Durham and Knoxville? I go through there several times a year.

(I also recommend Roy's BBQ in Russelvlle, KY, but that's off of most everyone's beaten path.)

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Have not. But if you recommend, I'll get by for lunch.

16. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Butch's BBQ and Breakfast in Morganton. Pulled pork on a sourdough bun. Weird but good. Also very good chicken fingers. Very close to I-40.

12 Bones in Asheville. The ribs. Where Obama ate when he was in town.

Little Pigs BBQ in Asheville. Pulled pork with a neat sauce. Near the hospital.

17. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Just don't get caught on the wrong side of a jug-handle or you'll never get there!

(A joke but if you've lived in or been to Cherry Hill you get it).

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I've fought the jug handles plenty. Silliness.

19. Since I've moved I've realized that the Knox area really does have a good BBQ thing going on. My favorite is Bread of Heaven.

20. Hobock

Hobock New Member

I bought 3lbs. of light-pulled from Scott's on Saturday, CV. Polished it off yesterday. Scott's is in good hands with the boys.