The BBQ Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Dec 9, 2011.

1. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I'm actually moving into a new place that is directly above Tom Lee Park and can walk down to the festival. I've been out of town the past two years so this will actually be my first time going. I'm sure it'll be an awful weekend.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My lunch today from Bread of Heaven -

BBQ (no sauce as it doesn't require it)
    BBQ chicken
    Smoked Sausage
    Homemade mac and cheese
    Green beans
    Dirty rice
    French fries
    Homemade banana pudding

On the buffet that I did not get -

Fried Catfish
    Grilled chicken
    Hamburger steak smothered in gravy
    Collard greens
    Sweet potato casserole
    Corn

[MENTION=16]The Dooz[/MENTION] can verify this is a pretty much daily menu.

I am stuffed.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not really that much fun unless you know a participant.

4. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Anyone watch BBQ Pittmasters on TV? The other day I saw an episode featuring a team from here in Fayetteville, NC that won the contest for the show. The team owns a portable "shack" and calls itself "Fatback's BBQ and Rib Shack". I've been working off post all week and only been a couple of miles from the place. They operate out of an Advanced Auto Parts parking lot. For $9 I got two sides of beans (the other side options were cole slaw and potato salad and I'm not fond of either), a quarter piece of chicken and pulled pork with a southern sweet style sauce. I shared some of the pork in order to get two ribs from my buddy. The chicken was probably the best bbq chicken I've ever tasted, great sauce and incredibly juicy and tender meat. The pork itself was cooked to perfection and would rival any I've ever tasted. Only thing that keeps Firehouse (my personal favorite pulled pork bbq) on top is the sauce wasn't as good imo. The two ribs I had were very flavorful and smoky with a great rub/sauce combo, but they were a little tough. Still would recommend getting them to anyone so don't think I'm saying they were bad, just have had better. Would highly recommend this place to anyone that ever has to make the unfortunate venture here.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I've always found the strong opinions people hold about bbq amusing, as I rarely find a pulled pork sandwich that I don't like. Sweet P's is my fav knoxville spot though.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Commie Pinko

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

LOL. I do share your love for ridgewood rb. Myth my ass, hat. Love me some phil's dream pit too.

8. CardinalVol

Ridgewood is ok. Def not best i have had.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hat needs to do his Knoxville eating/night life thread here on the 8th with a sticky.

I ate at dead ends last weekend. It was pretty solid BBQ, but a different atmosphere than I'm use to at a BBQ joint.

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

So where is the best you have had?

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I agree. But I guess my theory is there's BBQ and then there's better BBQ. I'm fairly certain I've never stopped eating a pulled pork sammich or ribs just because they weren't as good as my tops, heck some aren't even close, but I still eat. The place I ate yesterday was delicious though and I'd rank the chicken and pulled pork as something every bbq fan should taste and they should eat the ribs just because.

12. CardinalVol

The best?

A guy named charlie kizer who was janitor at my high school.

The best you can get now? Jacks creek bbq in jacks creek tn.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Ridgewood.

14. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

When we going?

15. CardinalVol

Just finished a sandwich from scotts bbq in lexington tn. And i am glad that apparently they fired whoever was smoking it. It will go back to 1b status with jacks creek.

16. CardinalVol

Just finished a sandwich from scotts bbq in lexington tn. And i am glad that apparently they fired whoever was smoking it. It will go back to 1b status with jacks creek.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You pick a day and let me know. I'm terrible at setting stuff up most of the time, so it's usually better when someone says- let's do this on this date. Otherwise, I usually get involved with something trivial. I have a bit of ADD in that sense.

18. CardinalVol

Trying Memphis bbq company tonight in horn lake. We shall see how this goes.

19. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Fat is one factor..but temp is main thing..your pit sounds very nice. Twin pack of wega and some nice butts...and twenty grain fed birds.....you guys would forget about those side road gasoline grate cleaning joints.... Sweet Tea and beans......Ha!

20. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

I bet....he would probably laugh if you started talking about people that waste meat!