UGA Takeaways

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BigOrangeBeech, Sep 29, 2018.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mincey is hurt and Emerson is still recovering from a broken leg/torn ligaments. Harris got moved to OG I believe.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I will say, I've never seen a guy get his ass whipped, be the reason for a strip sack, then pick the ball up and run 30 yards for a TD

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I expect Taylor to continue to get in the backfield

4. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

This offensive roster just isn't built for a "RB by committee, 45 rushes a game" type of strategy, as much as we'd love to see it. We need to take keys from our offense when Chaney was still here. Heavy on 11 personnel, pass to set up the run, vertical passing game, etc. And for the love of Christ, get out of the shotgun. We've done better being diverse with our running plays from the shotgun than the last group of idiots, but its still too predictable to line up with a gimp or not mobile QB and a RB to one side. It almost negates the threat of us using one side of the field.

A-Smith likes this.
  5. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Which is why I'm starting to think Auburn could be an upset, especially if its a noon kick. Get to Stidham early and often, keep their running game in check. Two weeks to reevaluate and formulate a better gameplan on O. Points are gonna be hard to come by, though. Maybe we get some luck with TO's.

DC Vol likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

TY has had 2 concussions in limited games. As a coach I have to pick my spots right now with him.

7. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Cut it anyway you like, buy they whipped our ass the entire first half and half of the 2nd.

A-Smith likes this.
  8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Score was indicative of the quality disparity. We did look more disciplined and play with a bit more focus and effort than against UF and WV. That was not exactly a dizzying bar.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

To me last night, we didnt look as far away from ga as i thought we would. DL got pressure. Lbs in position but suck. Young dbs hitting hard and tracking balls. OL gave JG some time to stare. Showed breakaway potential vs high level D from rb.
    Not as big of a gap imo.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My takeaway-

Spending my Saturday afternoon coaching 8U football is an immensiely more enjoyable experience than watching this team right now.

Caught the fumble, had my are you kidding me moment, left home, and didnt even think to check the score until 3 hours later.

First time since i was under 10 years old ive been this indifferent to a game, much less a team like georgia, and it felt good.

A-Smith and kmf600 like this.
  11. netnvol

netnvol Member

If football ends becoming two-hand touch, Kirkland will be an NFL HOFer. Is there a count of how many missed and broken tackles yesterday?

12. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Eleventy billion.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Said that when it happened.

14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I'm not going to rationalize what happened yesterday. We looked like a good DII school vs an SEC team yesterday. I've completely overestimated what bricklayer left us. We may still hit 6 wins but it's going to be tough.

Before the season started I thought we'd get to 7 plus a bowl win, I no longer think that.

15. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

If they could get Chance Hall healthy enough to move Smith back to guard that would help the offense tremendously.

JG still needs to see the field a little better and do more with his legs.

Pruitt will have an elite defense by year 3. He is missing way too many pieces (lb and safeties are just not instinctive at all) and he is still fielding a respectable d.

16. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

What led you to believe that a 4-8 (0-8) team was going to win 8 games?

17. GahLee

Sec title game looks to be an epic ass kicking. I don't think that team hangs with bama.

East is still shit.

18. GahLee

We needed some breaks and didn't get them. They did. Still managed to be down 12 with the ball in the 4th.

26 point lost just the same. I get it. But our toughest opponent yet, on the road and it was much more competitive than WVU or UF ever was.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

This is the truth.

However it happened - whether it was UGA not executing, our playing above our heads, or a combination of both - there was a point in the second half of this game where Tennessee had the ball and a chance to make it a 1 score game with the #2 team in the land, and in their house.

If you’d have offered anyone here with the possibility of that scenario at any point in the offseason, much less after WV and UF, we’d think anyone crazy who wouldn’t jump on that.

Moral victories are for losers. Always have been, and always will be, without any exception.

But if you’re looking for some sign, some inkling of an idea that we might have actually backed into a football coach who understands what big-boy football is, and what it requires, you should have at least seen some faint glimmer of it, on Saturday.

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

The first statement makes sense. The second one is stupid. 2018 Bama is all-time great. But that doesn't make the Mississippi schools or Arkansas suck any less. If Kentucky beats A&M at A&M this weekend, then can we really say the East is still shit?