My VN visit

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Apr 29, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

is this sarcasm?

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No, I'm 100% serious. I'm talking about a long time ago. I joined in like, June of 08. May not have been well-respected by the posters of this site that had been there for a while, but by the general VN population, I felt like he was. Everybody wanted custom avys and shit, and a lot of people asked him about info the same way they asked LV.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

yes.

4. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

The only "inside"thing Sab has ever had has been info that Larry has given. Not sure if there had ever been a time they Sab was "respected"

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And the latter two behaviors by the general populace continued even past the Scroggins letter (which I missed), because they were still happening when I joined in the last weeks of the Kiffin era. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped, but I do think it died down somewhat even before all the shit that went down with whatever went down (I don't think I ever cared to collect all the details of that)

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Unless you count his visit with Indy, then there is two.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

words cannot express how low people on this board regard(ed) his opinion.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'll admit, for the first few months I didn't realize who/what he was. I didn't worship the guy, but I didn't roll my eyes at what he said either.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's harassed the shit out of recruits on facebook and therefore occasionally got a "yeah i commited to UT" response from them before it hit the major services.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I watched their Spring game last night. They aren't going to fall over for us. We can handle them easily if we play smart football, but that has not been our product for some time. They have weapons and they play sound football.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Screw you Cardinal. lol

So basically, the general dumbasses ate his shit up and the smart posters could tell he was nothing more than a normal dude? I was 16 and new to the site at the time. I guess I'll use that as my excuse.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Indy, the folks over here never saw Sab as an insider. And he obviously is not. I've been informed of more "insider" type of information by some of the posters here passing things along who do not even claim such silly titles. That's all Sab is ever doing-- passing things he hears along. But he has no filter to know what is BS and what isn't.

13. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Indy - most of us were around to see the evolution of Sab, as well. That helped see through his crap. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like he was lying all the time. But, his information was very susceptible to being co-opted by the whims of 18 year-olds (i.e., college football recruiting). He hit up recruits via social media, schlobbed Larry's knob, and I think may have had some info coming from Lance Thompson (was that via Larry?). You just have to take it for what it is....and what it is is a sad person with occasionally correct information.

I will say that I bought what OCI was selling for a while. I guess when you don't know the back story, you can be initially fooled.

What is legit info anyway? Let's say you have contact with the coaches...what good is that even? They are lied to all the time. All you can rely on is information relating to a recruit being very interested...commitments are a whole other issue.

14. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

While we're on this topic, does anyone have any idea what the hell actually happened during our DC search...with regard to Randy Shannon. The guy from VN who brought the info about Shannon seemed very reliable...and I think that he was actually told that and that the booster did believe this to be true. So, my question is how far did it get? We know Shannon asked around about UT....is that as far as it got...because the guy from VN (forget his name) seemed to suggest things were much closer than this. Was it some sort of internal AD struggle playing out ... or just your run-of-the-mill coaching search.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tom O'Brien coached teams don't beat themselves.

Dooley coached teams seem to try to

16. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

(2) Damn. Nice work.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sab was/is a guy that thought pestering recruits via social media would get him a writing job.

Most on here realized he crossed a line with recruits very early on. He was, by his own words, a good qb scout due to qb'ing backyard football games.

He read meat market and quoted it nearly word for word.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

A fair expectation for Coach Dooley

Bad coach, or no talent

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Wasn't trolling, imo. Was truth. I applaud your efforts, sir.

Groves does a good job of showing the light as well.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

ha ha ha ha ha