Coming Soon.......The movie thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Apr 20, 2013.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I disagree. All comic superheros are two dimensional.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Phoenix looks suitably crazy in the Joker trailer.

justingroves likes this.
  3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah, Joker looks awesome.

utvol0427 likes this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I thought Suicide Squad looked like it was gonna be awesome, too

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems kind of dull and depressing.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's a look at how the world drove a man crazy. I think it's on the right track. I doubt the movie will be as uneventful as the trailer.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I mean it looks well done and probably will have some good acting, but not really sure it's delivering what your typical Marvel/DC audience is wanting.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Well, what the typical DC audience wanted delivered Justice League. So, maybe this is a good thing.

10. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eh, pretty sure no one wanted studio meddling, last minute changes to the production team, etc.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't think a typical DC audience has had what they wanted outside of Nolan's Batman and maybe Wonder Woman

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

It'll be interesting. If it's successful it might steer things in a new direction quality-wise. But you get what I'm saying? Seems like kind of an artsy movie and I wonder if the folks that appreciate that most have no interest in a comic book movie.

Also, pretty solid list of actors that have played Joker now. Not many roles have that many Oscar winners/nominees.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I liked Man of Steel for the most part, but it was an ugly movie.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Heard Shazam was great from my brother who loves red velvet cake.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Based on what I've read, WB allowed DC to go in a more mature, darker direction on the heels of its success with the Nolan trilogy. Then, a couple of movies in and in the middle of production, they wanted to follow the Marvel formula of more camp and humor. It's a hot mess on that side of the fence right now. Shazam looks like it's going to be slapstick. Like you said, Joker looks more like a dark art piece. Then you have the shared universe questions. Joker is supposed to be a one off, no going back on it. Is Shazam in the shared universe? Is the upcoming Batman movie (there's one upcoming because they make buckets of money unless you have bat nipples and Arnold Schwarzenegger in a gumball helmet) in the shared universe? Is there still a shared universe at all? They are going to need to do a Crisis on Infinite Earths trilogy just to dig themselves out the hole they are working on.

All that being said, yes. The average casual comics movies fan is probably not going to be too happy with it.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

kinda like joker with no distinct origin. Adds to the chaos

justingroves likes this.
  17. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I hope this culminates in an Avengers / DC / Star Wars / Harry Potter / GoT crossover, and then we can get back to making different genres of movies.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I too am sick of them for the most part.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

There are plenty of other movies being made. They just suck. Not Marvel or dc’s fault

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

It has to do with risk/reward. Hollywood is extremely risk-averse right now.