POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

It’s not really all that embarrassing, is it?

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Maybe a little, but he has a ceiling of about 48. Right now he’s around 45, so maybe a little bump. Good news for him is that 44-46 is right where he needs to be to have a legitimate chance at re-election.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

To me, yes. He looks feckless, willing to obstruct, open to Russian influence, among other things included. But, that's my opinion.

The more substantive item I stated was in response to the approval rating, which I don't see moving much, if any.

4. TennTradition

But we know he’s feckless. We know he has to be handled. It’s what we imagined that might be worse - and was largely fantasy. That’s not embarrassing for him.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I had no illusions there would be a pee pee tape or anything and I'm not sure how many people were expecting something explosive today, especially after being prepped by Barr's report. There's plenty of shady stuff in there, though.

6. TennTradition

I agree that very few were expecting anything explosive today. But two weeks ago? This is just a victory lap.

7. TennTradition

I really don’t think I’m splitting hairs. There is a clear difference between the collusion and obstruction discussion.

From the report.

“If we had confidence after a thorough investigation of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, we are unable to reach that judgment,” Mueller’s report said. “Accordingly, while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”​

8. TennTradition

Definitely shady...but not unexpected, thus just don’t see the embarrassing all that much.

From the report:

“Our investigation found multiple acts by [President Trump] that were capable of exerting undue influence over law enforcement investigations, including the Russia-interference and obstruction investigations,” the report said. “The president engaged in a series of targeted efforts to control the investigation.” Trump’s actions included “discouragement of cooperation with the government and suggestions of possible future pardons.”​

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The report covers the pee tape. Apparently there IS a pee tape, but it is a fake and was squashed. It is of Russian origin. That's in the report. This isn't in there and is my own speculation: that was prepared a few years ago for other purposes and thus was squashed because it was no longer in their interests to use it.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

compared to what people were saying he was doing this is a massive victory. low bar remember

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think he's getting reelected and i can't believe i'm saying it.

12. TennTradition

He’s re-elected if he is able to keep juicing the economy every way he knows how. I was convinced he was heading for a 2020 near-recession or possibly recession last year. I’m not so sure now. Ending QT and stopping the hikes will keep things rolling for a while. And he’ll work to keep oil prices under 70.

I’m worried that we won’t have enough QT or have rates at a high enough levels for QE and lowering rates to be as effective as we need them to be when the time comes. But he’s optimizing his situation.

13. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

If he runs, he will win. In a landslide.

Tenacious D likes this.
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

lot of juice left in the economy. corporate profits could be bleh the rest of the year though.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Define landslide. If you are talking about electoral college, whatever.

16. GahLee

Democratic party seems fractured. Tons of candidates with very little actual support. On the Republican side, who is even going to oppose Trump for the nomination? If the Democratic party can come together after the party nomination is won, maybe they can make it interesting. I don't see this happening.

Dems went all-in on Russian collusion for 2 years and came up empty-handed. Same will happen in 2020. Dems seeking POTUS are either political artifacts like Bernie and Biden or are entering the game before they are truly ready. Where is the moderate Democrat running for POTUS that has the balls to stand up to the woke crowd? That is a candidate that could win. What they are currently producing isn't good enough to beat Trump.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the amazing part is they seem to be doubling down. look at pelosi's twitter. don't they get going down this road is going to screw them? it's done, they lost, move on.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

In 2015, one party had a dozen candidates with very little actual support, and the other had one clear candidate. It's way too early to know.

19. GahLee

There is a path for Democrats to win in 2020. That path isnt trying to beat Trump at his own game. The media being a mouthpiece for liberals has taken a serious hit. They've proven themselves untrustworthy. So now the Trump hit pieces (that seemingly just riled people up but had no real consequences) have even less weight.

Everything Trump pushes publicly is pro-America, everything they push publicly is anti-Trump. Which in turn is anti-America, at least at a glance. Which all most are willing to do, glance. That isnt a winning formula, for any candidate.

droski likes this.
  20. GahLee

Times sure have changed since then. What candidate from the Democratic party is worth selling the others out for?