POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm old enough to be sure that this hasn't been true of my life experience. I appreciate that it may be for you and others.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

oh. unimane is a teacher, so I guess he would know too?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

one of my wife's friends just switched from teaching private school and public school. she was quite shocked how much poorer the education was and how there was no expectation that the kids do the actual work. her politics are similar to uni.

kmf600 and RockyHill like this.
  4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he's a teacher in an area with a high percentage of non native speakers? is education the same everywhere?

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not as high as LA, but I have taught in places with a fair amount of ESL learners.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and your belief is that they don't slow down learning in the classroom at all? especially in the k-8 levels?

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

now pelosi is a white supremacist:

[​IMG]

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I can also tell you at Cal that the kids from the public schools struggled mightily compared to the kids from the private schools their freshman year.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Non mette mai un dollaro più nelle mie tasche

11. Unimane

You can still learn a subject just fine while in an immersion setting. In fact, in many ways, it's incredibly beneficial. Happens in Europe all the time, and elsewhere.

I have a number of issues with public schools which would take hours to discuss and contemplate. Getting a good education from a public school in an affluent area isn't difficult, though. If you can afford private schools, then it does often have a higher level of academic rigor, but it should if you're paying thousands, tens of thousands, for the exclusivity of it. Still, I'm not interested in paying for high school when there are perfectly good educational settings for my kids for free which will get them anywhere they want to go.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Not the most flattering photo.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there aren't perfectly good schools available here for free. i live in LA county. my neighborhood being wealthy has nothing to do with it. that's not the way schools here work. my little league team often practiced at the school my kids would be going to if they went to public school. they left the school open with no security and had kids in the courtyards by themselves after hours. no one gives a shit.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and you didn't answer my question. did esl students slow down your class? i buy you can do fine in an immersion setting when everyone is at the same education level and same level of language understanding.

15. Unimane

Not really, although, granted, I don't teach at the K-8 level. If a school has a high number of ESL kids, then there are, surely (and legally required), resources available to those students which would not slow down the process for everyone else.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you arent' allowed to separate those kids in california.

kmf600 likes this.
  17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You expect common sense to be used in CA?

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Our public schools are great - including those that spend half their day in Spanish - or ones like the one where my daughter where a third of the kids at my daughters table speak in and out of Spanish throughout the day. It was an adjustment for my daughter but she’s learning from it. The kids at these schools consistently test incredibly well.

It’s worth noting though that all of the kids in my daughters class, at least, speak English fluently. She’s not in an immersion because we couldn’t get her in, so I can’t speak to those classes. But, despite probably half the class speaking another language (Spanish, Chinese, Indian dialects, and one or two French speaking kids are the main languages it seems) they aren’t having to slow down class to cater to them because their English is strong - and in some/many cases probably their first language. I totally see how that could be different where the kids struggle with English and how that would impact classes for the first few years (if they’re learning English mainly at school).

I work with a guy from France that just relocated to our office. He dropped his kids squarely in US schools and they didn’t speak any English apparently - just German and French. They are about 6 and 8 and the 8 year old had picked up a bit from TV but not much. It was hard on them but it sounds like they are already rolling with it pretty well.

19. Unimane

There are no good public schools in LA County? I find this hard to believe. And, leaving the school open after hours isn't indicative of the quality of education there. If it's a public school like mine, there are all kinds of things happening after hours in terms of tutoring, extracurricular activities and other organizations using the space (Although I do have some issues with wandering after hours students, but that's kind of unique to my school).

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Un would you consider Hillboro highschool in Green Hills as a good education? In one of the most affluent areas of the state.
    College readiness, ACT scores, state test scores, all fall below the metro average.