The Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, May 5, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it was because if she is in hand cuffs in the back of the patrol car, they are going to find the gun for one and-- and I may be misremembering or misunderstanding-- didn't she turn out to have some sort of drugs on her as well? She was playing the shell game to keep the gun and other stuff undetected, and you can't do the shell game if you are in cuffs and not freely able to walk around, holding your bag, etc.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, wait, the officer found drugs. So ya, that is why she panicked. She was likely going to catch charges and she knew it.

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’m no police procedure expert, but he gave her way too much rope right? I hate seeing videos of cops beating women that could never in a million years physically threaten them. But if I’m a cop and you’re behaving in a super sketchy manner I’m either making your ass sit still on the curb or your going in the back of the car for a minute while I’m searching.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, I mean, she obviously panicked, but the reaction just seems off to me. Getting arrested and charged for drugs or a firearm is obviously not good, but I'm not sure what thought process led her to think that pulling a gun and shooting the cop might better her situation.

Maybe she just freaked out and wasn't thinking straight, or, based on what was in her car, maybe she wasn't in the right state of mind when the incident started. But she's running around yelling "Help" and pulling out a gun. It just makes me wonder what was going through her mind. Did she fear that she might be harmed by the officer if she allowed herself to be handcuffed? Running around screaming "Help!" seems to indicate she felt she was in danger.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Had he cuffed her from the get go, everyone is alive and no one is shot. Now, had he cuffed her and found nothing, he's a piece of shit abusing his authority. He was trying to not create a situation where anyone was harmed and it backfired.

6. HCKevinSteele

A very tough line to walk, no doubt.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

If he has a partner, one can talk to her while the other pokes around. One is in between her and the vehicle, and she has already been searched. Why do we have officers running solo?

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Metro Nashville can't find any to hire is one of the biggest reasons, but yeah, if two are there that would help

9. HCKevinSteele

I realized I had no real idea what cops made these days so I checked for metro Nashville. Looks like it only takes 4-5 years to get to 70k. Better than I expected.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I wouldn’t do it regardless of pay. Just not my comfort zone

warhammer, justingroves and fl0at_ like this.
  11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Or, he could detain her in the back of his car with no cuffs, if that is allowed by department procedure.

Or, he could have left her in her car, and called for backup, and then done the search while second officer questioned.

There are more than two options.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I couldn't write tickets. I think (think) I could investigate crimes, but the responding to active stuff gives me pre-traumatic stress syndrome.

warhammer likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just prefer to avoid confrontation

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Fbi would be fun. Took an aptitude test in college which said I should be an agent. I was kindof a hell raiser so didn't try. Cant imagine being a metro cop.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And they're quitting quicker than they can hire them

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not sure either is sufficient probable cause, certainly not the latter. I do think the cop did a poor job of containing the situation. When she kept going back and forth into the car, I got a very uneasy feeling. I'm not knowledgeable about police procedure or anything, but I felt it was very unwise to let her get comfortable doing so. Surely, he could have been cordial and firm at the same time.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree but I do think we have to make a distinction here between talking about police procedure, and the fact that she chose to escalate things to a deadly confrontation. The officer may have made mistakes, but she made them deadly.

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

It's definitely her fault. She went for the gun to resolve the situation and escalated it into a deadly confrontation. As a person who had been given a greater amount of responsibility and ability to handle these situations, though, he needs to be able to assert himself in a certain manner or he can't be put in those positions. This also would work in the opposite direction if he used his badge to be Billy Badass.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

When did he call for backup? Or did he at all?

I don’t know the ins and outs of law enforcement but pulling over a car registered to a habitual drug offender feels like it has more potential to go haywire than say a more normal traffic stop.

In other words, should he have been more aware that things could escalate in this case?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Early on in the encounter, he radioed for another officer. That's why, to me, it raises the question of why he had to at all. As kind of you are saying I think, why not wait until you have backup before even pulling them over?