The workout thread(Weighlifting/Running)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Just realized who your avy is. Thumbs up.

gcbvol likes this.
  2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I have a weakness for quirky genius. His was among the greatest of them all.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Down 5.8 pounds in 2 weeks. Under 200 again. Feel good.

gcbvol likes this.
  4. gcbvol

Nice work, Card. Also sounds like a good loss rate.

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Took a 1.75 mike walk around the UCF stadium campus after eating at Jimmy Johns. 2017 National Championship put up in the sky boxes area.

warhammer likes this.
  6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Also did a 10k beach run on Sunday. It was a 10k or half marathon championship open to all. About a 100 runners did it barefoot.

7. kidbourbon

Indeed he was.

I'm not sure why it is that he's recently back in the limelight, so to speak*, but it's great to see as he never should have been forgotten by the history books for as long as he was.

He was sooooooooo much smarter than Edison. If we're talking scientists that did the most to shape the modern world, I would put him right up there with Faraday.**

*There was a series on science channel called "Tesla's Death Ray", which examined whether or not he might have been killed by the CIA, and a show "Deadly Intelligence", which looks into the same question. I also saw a documentary about him on netflix.
    **the transistor is imho the greatest invention ever, but William Shockley wasn't as generally prolific in his groundbreaking discoveries as Tesla or Faraday. He just came up with one that was a really big deal.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd probably have to give it to the guy that invented the sealer you can use to turn a screen door into the bottom of a boat.

GahLee, InVolNerable and cpninja like this.
  9. CardinalVol

Hope so. If I can stay in 2 to 3 pounds a week I'll be happy.

gcbvol likes this.
  10. gcbvol

I think Elon Musk has a lot to do with it. He's brought a lot of attention to the name Tesla over the past few years. Interest was piqued.
    Exactly. There's really no comparison when it comes to intelligence. That's not a slam on Edison, rather a comment on Tesla's legitimate genius. I'm also not certain we're aware of the full extent of Tesla's discoveries/inventions. The man was working constantly and rarely slept. That he lived to 86 is fairly incredible to me.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Ran 13.1 this evening just because. Actually, that's not entirely true. It's gotten to the point where I worry about hitting my weekly mileage goal so much that I tacked on some extra today because an in-law guest is going to be in town tomorrow evening meaning I may not run. I also have a 5k Friday evening. Sure, it's a glow run, not certified, only entered because the girl child loves them and it was cheap, but I know I'll lay off Friday morning so I can be more competitive that evening. I'm starting to develop a problem.

gcbvol likes this.
  12. kidbourbon

Circling back to chemical inquiries: what do y'all think Pacquiao was taking in his prime?

That's the shit I want

An unaided man can't bounce around like that in a constantly attacking -- and never letting up -- manner unless he's got a little extra something going on, methinks.

And, son the real real: what is it and where acquireth said nectar of athleticism.

ETA: didn't go near the distance, but gives you an idea of what I'm talking about:

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

winstrol

14. kidbourbon

(1) good point. I didn't even think of that.

(2) by some accounts he was also unraveling a bit at the end. Claims of communications with Martians and such. Reminds me a smidge of John Nash, where the genius was so imaginative in nature that that the crazy was always going to be along for the ride.

15. kidbourbon

Are you being serious? I thought that was more of the mass-building variety.

Or is it like a PED swiss army knife?

These questions are not rhetorical? I don't know anything about this stuff.

Are a lot of athletes still taking HGH? That was the PED end all be all for a while, but you don't hear about it as much anymore.

16. kidbourbon

De La Hoya actually brings up a great point about fitness and staying in shape and longevity.

Here is what De La Hoya did. He would train like mad for a fight, then after that fight was over, he would spend the next several months doing hookers and blow with hollywood. types. Then he'd get a new fight in place, and train like mad for 10 weeks. Rinse, lather repeat. And that strategy works for a while, until all of a sudden (almost overnight) your body says "[uck fay] yo, I'm done with this roller coaster drug and training binges, and a fighter is, again seemingly overnight, irreparably washed up.

Same thing happened to Allen Iverson. That guy lived haaaaaaaaard. And he got away with it for a while...until all of sudden he was just done.

Compare those guys with Floyd Mayweather and Bernard Hopkins. Floyd Mayweather never went a day in his life without working out two hours. Dude walked around in something pretty close to fighting shape. And he fought late in his career with no discernible fall-off until what 39 or 40?

Or even better, Bernard Hopkins, who coupled Money May's fitness commitment with one of the healthiest diets you could ever really imagine. Dude was fighting at a championship level balls deep into his 40s.

The moral of the story: better to stay in shape, than to get out and then get back in.

Just my $0.02

17. kidbourbon

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You cut fat and don't put on crazy mass with winstrol. It was the choice of a lot of baseball players too, because of that

19. kidbourbon

I'm not sure that the more traditional anabolic variety, which would work wonders in baseball, would lend itself perfectly to boxing.

In fact, the story behind the Tommy Morrison / Ray Mercer fight (the one with tough-to-watch delayed stoppage) is that Morrison had been taking steroids, and by the fourth or fifth round he was gassed.

i have no clue what he took, though

20. CardinalVol

New stand up desk begins today. I'm excited.