The workout thread(Weighlifting/Running)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lylsmorr, Aug 17, 2011.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Speaking of east-africans, that race was my first "with my own eyes" encounter with th ecompletely different level those guys are on.

So, the course is super simple. You start on K street. Run up like two blocks and do a u -turn to get on whitehurst freeway, which then turns into canal. At some point along canal, you turn around and head back.

[​IMG]

Well I'm still on the first half of th erace, but totally starting ot feel like "holy balls, this sucks, why did I get talked into this", and then coming back towards me in the opposte direction is this east african fella and I swear to god the guy didn't hae a torseo. he wa just all legs an dit was like he was just effortlessly bounding witih each stride. Oh, and he was smiling. Like a big legit smile. Like super cheesy smile. I'd never seen a human being run like that.

I'm thinking "I feel like maybe one of these law firms brought in a ringer."

Yeah, that dude won the race, by a comfortable margin, and while smiling.

Juggling dude was impressive too, I suppose, but it felt try-hard.

2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I've always made an effort to keep active over the years but the weight started to creep up regardless. Plus there are months where I get lazy and do absolutely nothing except eat. My main problem is I like to cook and I constantly over eat. Something that has helped me start to shed weight is an app/website called Lose It. It just helps counting daily calorie intake by documenting the food eaten. Not a new concept, but it's nice to see a record of what and how I eat. You can also set weight goals and things like that and it's free. Here's the link in case anyone is interested:

https://www.loseit.com/

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Dropped 140 over two three month periods doing nothing but minding calories and cardio (running) during the second session. I like lifting, but I don't like carving out the time for it and have not done it in decades. I plan to get back into it over the summer. I wouldn't bother, but i feel a little silly these days having defined legs and a slightly flabby upper body.

4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Headed to the gym in a few. Today's old man workout will last @ 45 minutes at most.
    2 miles on bike
    Stretch/couple of planks
    Elliptical for 4 minutes swinging my arms like im running. Trying to trim the side tit. Good burn and blood flow too.
    Rope pull machine for 4 minutes--really good chest and shoulder pump and you can do ab work sitting there.
    6 sets squats/wallbsits with no weight.
    4 sets of 12 cable chest at various angles
    Shoulder bike 3 minutes/2 sets 15 lateral raise
    5 sets back
    Couple repped sets of thunder/lightning

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Shoulder Flow/Light Pressing for warm up
    Turkish Get Ups x5
    Superset Diamond Push Ups/Chin Ups for 2-3x near failure
    Down some chocolate milk

Done in 20-30 minutes

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I looked this up and found a helpful website. I may start doing some of the beginner plans when I get to that phase of diet.

Only think I am going to change somehow is power cleans for deadlift. And is there anything else I can do for the core strength building?

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

power high pull

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Cable isometric hold works good.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Once you get to deadlifting a lot. It think it's a prettying taxing lift and not something you want to do more than once a week.

Also on any olympic lifts, I think anything over 5 in a set is too much.

10. chavisut

Never great with deadlift, especially after I strained by hamstring. Switched to sumo before and liked it.

11. chavisut

Was lazy and ate two bowls of cereal this morning instead of usual breakfast. Starving within an hour.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

My main concern is core.

Looking for a three day a week plan that will go 30-40 minutes. Bench and squats will be part, just need a couple of more exercises that work the core.

13. chavisut

Squats work it.

Do some planks and an ab wheel.

Throw in some kind of row to offset bench.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Squats, deadlift, plank

chavisut likes this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Squats, Clean or a clean variation, Dead lifts, pull ups, Bench press, and Over head press. That basically covers everything.

I squat first at every workout. I then either do Bench press twice a week and over head press once, or over head press twice and bench press once. I do one set of 5 of deadlift or clean. Pull ups to end the workout.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I like farmer walks over planks.

17. chavisut

Yes! Can't believe I forgot my favorite movement.

All carries.

18. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I didnt know they had a name, but ive always liked picking up mulch bags and pool salt bags and carrying them around a little. 40 lb pool salt bag in each hand burns after a few steps.

19. chavisut

Yeah. Try a suitcase carry with just one hand and you'll feel your core/obliques firing.

20. chavisut

Complete
    Added a cupcake.