POLITICS Reparations

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Indy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

If the government were to actually make an honest apology and do it in a very public way (not some Rose Garden ceremony at 2:30 on a Tuesday when nobody is paying attention...) it would at least be something to let the country know that a genuine acknowledgement of guilt had been admitted to. I’m not sure what that expression would actually look like but certainly there is a way to do it publicly, with sincerity and dignity...

2. Savage Orange

I firmly believe that if every adult in the US were reset to zero and given an equal amount of money, within three to five years most all the people who are currently rich before the reset would be rich again and just about all the currently poor people would again be poor... spending habits are hard to break.

justingroves likes this.
  3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

There is an immensely dickish statement you make in this post, but I'll let you try to figure it out and run it back.

RockyHill likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Whatever. You can't stand 2 things. 1 is someone who thinks opposite of you and 2, the truth.
    If you give loads of money to people who dont know what to do with it, and they arent in the best environment, there are going to be problems. Doesnt matter what color. Major problems.
    Now go back to your PC bullshit. My 10 + years of experince working with kids in Orange Mound amounts to more than your slanted view of every [uck fay]ing thing people do or say.

5. Ssmiff

Its a poor thing, not a race thing. Reparations just happen to be one race, but the same goes. Stable families with stable incomes would either spend it wisely, save or blow it, whichever they choose. As they have obviously have done it before. Millions of other situations would not go so well, so if there were reparations, maybe they have stipulations or paid out over time or something.
    Personally, if the govt wants to give money for reparations I really dont care. I shouldnt have to pay for it, but I already pay for a lot of shit which has nothing to do with me, so whatever. I think it wpuld be a mess on several fronts.

6. Unimane

Truth? What the [uck fay] Are you talking about? Either you don't know all black people aren't living in the projects and poor or don't know that reparations aren't made with the intention of uplifting economic status.

Truth? The [uck fay] you know about truth. It was a [penis] statement to say, in response to the idea of compensation for the enslavement of black people, "Oh, just go to the projects and give them money. See what happens". What the hell does it matter what they do with it?

So, I don't give a [uck fay] about what you think you've done in Orange Mound, Harlem, South Side Chicago or wherever, it was a shitty thing to say. So, [uck fay] off with your whiny ass "you're just being pc" excuse everyone uses to get out of their dumbassery and own up to the shit thing you said.

7. Ssmiff

I already owned up to it.
    You are literally calling me a dumbass, again, for stating the truth about the tie of family/education/socioeconomic status and $$$.
    And I realize you dont care about others experiences. I dont care. Have a good day.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I can’t believe this troll thread worked

9. Savage Orange

Dros, you’ve been here way too long to actually believe that, I know!! I’m the foremost example of a bait taking mofo on the 8th, but I ain’t the only one...

TennTradition likes this.
  10. Unimane

I'm calling you a dumbass because your response to the idea of compensation for black people was to say people in the projects were too stupid, or whatever, to use the money correctly. Instead of copping to it, you did what you always do, some combination of playing the victim and blaming others.

You still don't seem to recognize that this isn't a discussion about providing a safety net for rhe poor or reducing wealth inequality for people of color, but about compensation.

11. Unimane

Let's not give Indy too much credit. There is a good discussion to be had on this topic.

RockyHill likes this.
  12. Savage Orange

Granted, I don’t fully understand the issue from the black perspective either, but I would be willing to bet (just not with Indy...) that a gracious plenty of likely recipients of any potential reparations would see it solely as monetary compensation. Not because they’re not smart or responsible people but because when it comes in the mail in the form of a check it isn’t a meaningful expression of remorse. It’s not personal, it’s just found money and whether it’s blown on booze, smokes and hookers or used to fund a college education or start a new business wouldn’t matter.

Unimane likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

I just "played the victim"? and am blaming others?
    Judas [uck fay]ing Priest.

14. Savage Orange

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Rich people spend more though. . .

16. Savage Orange

My point is that rich folks keep doing the kind of shit that keeps them rich and poor folks keep doing the kind of shit that keeps them poor...

17. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I got your point, I'm just more skeptical of the idea that rich people's ability to spend within their means has more to do with their discipline and less to do with their means. It's a lot harder to budget when you barely have enough money for basic necessities (or maybe even don't have enough money). And, on the other hand, if you're used to buying expensive stuff and suddenly can't afford it anymore, that could be an issue. That said, if you haven't had money your whole life and suddenly get some, I feel like there are two opposite extremes you can hit--either you feel like you're rich and you don't have to budget (and you end up blowing it) or you're afraid of being poor again and become a super saver.

I actually suspect you're right that people would tend to find similar income levels as they have now, but I think that's more about social networks and resumes than rich people being inherently better at managing money.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think that's a perfectly reasonable angle. I think whatever happens won't be enough and won't be "even stephen" kind of move. But we should be able to have a national conversation about it. Universal acknowledgement would go a long way. I was stunned to see people act like slaveholders' lands being seized in 1865 was wildly unreasonable. That's what we do to criminals today for all sorts of offenses, when they were profiting off their activity. Even if it couldn't be done then or now, the concept itself is not unreasonable.

RockyHill likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is Indy on 8th Maxim, not Tenny on Norris Lake.

droski and justingroves like this.