POLITICS Reparations

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Indy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Probably the best idea I have seen regards to paying reparations. I still do not believe in paying for the sins or suffering of others from years past.

2. GahLee

I think this is a good idea but would it suffice? Would the woke media accept it? I think most things are based on precedent and here we could find ourselves in a situation where we end up with more egg on our face than on our plate.

Tax reduction is certainly more feasible than taxing whites, that shit will go over like a screen door on a submarine.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

America ended slavery like Germany ended WW2.

4. GahLee

When you are the most powerful country in the world and you make slavery illegal, you have effectively ended slavery for any country in tune with modern society.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I hate to be callous, but human nature says that there isn't anything that won't feel like an insult.

At some point there has to be a compromise.

A tax benefit is a good compromise, and easy to effect.

Just gotta convince @JohnnyQuickkick that it is pretty simple, and @Unimane that it is sufficient.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

We definitely created it here in America and created a new type of slavery based upon race in the process. And, we ended it? I mean, we ended it within our borders, but only with one part of the country kicking and screaming and the other so uncommitted to doing so the president had to assure them the war, initially wasn't being fought to do so, all while a number of other countries had done it well before us. Hell, Mexico did it four decades prior to us and we felt threatened by it enough to help cause a few conflicts as a result. Patting ourselves on the back for ending slavery in this manner is a bit silly.

7. Unimane

We were in no way the most powerful country in the world in 1865.

JudgmentVol and tvolsfan like this.
  8. fl0at_

We were twice the country we were now. *ba da bum pffft*

9. GahLee

America has been the most powerful country in the world since 1776.

10. Unimane

I like this idea of not paying for things which are not my doing, do not have my support or I did not participate in any way. As such, since I did not support the Iraq War, nor anyone who voted for it or participate in the fighting of the war, I would like to not pay for it, either.

11. Unimane

We weren't even the most powerful country in 1915.

12. fl0at_

Too late. Done cashed in.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can you unpack this? What country was the most powerful in the world in 1865, in your opinion? Which countries "in tune with modern society" illegalized slavery in response to the US? The only major countries that come to mind that illegalized slavery after the US was Spain, Brazil, and the Ottoman Empire. I think you vastly overestimate the US's place in the world in the middle of the 19th century.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

This might be the most ignorant thing ever posted on this forum.

NorrisAlan, tvolsfan and RockyHill like this.
  15. Unimane

Damn. Well, I guess if they ever get this wall thing passed, I'll ask for my exemption then.

16. GahLee

Name another country better.

17. fl0at_

I'd give you my last $100 war bond, but that'd be profiteering, and I won't insult you like that.

Unimane likes this.
  18. Unimane

Better? I thought it was "most powerful"? In 1776, there were a lot more powerful countries.

19. GahLee

America has long set the standard for the world. Power, influence, call it whatever you like. We've been that country.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

In 1776? The British [uck fay]ing empire. The Ottoman Empire. Prussia. Russia. France. Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Mughal Empire. China.

Dutch Republic and Portugal are strong considerations.

Go back and look at what the issues of state were immediately after the revolutionary war. We were getting picked on by the [uck fay]ing Barbary Coast. The British forced US sailors and passengers to join their crews at will for decades after the revolution.