POLITICS “More Sensitive: Bunnies or East Tennesseans?” Discussion

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 8, 2018.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

So my point was Tennessee is uncultured? You sure about that?

Obviously, East Tennessee has deep culture of its own. There are a lot of people that have experienced a lot of different cultures or environments. Furthermore, there are plenty of people more cultured than me there (which probably isn’t hard). It was not a measure of cultured people.

The statement was that we prefer a culturally diverse place to live.

Any of those people may be as ‘uncultured’ as the next - but it’s not their experiences I’m talking about - it is their own shared cultured (both racially/internationally diverse and with that diversity actually having enough critical mass that there exist unique but cultures with it). Maybe culture isn’t the right word to describe that.

You are revealing your own biases here.

2. TennTradition

Haha. I’m not celebrating this as some measure of greatness. I’m just answering the question of what exposure the kids get to various socioeconomic groups.

JT5 likes this.
  3. TennTradition

Well this is the first thing you’ve said to contribute to the conversation. This definitely would contribute to diversity and anyone, myself included, is missing out who hasn’t experienced it.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Here he and his wife are, engaging the local homeless in his big Texas city:
    [​IMG]

So, I’d say that “speak” is a bit much - there is obviously such a thing as too much diversity.

Diversity is good if you’re rich, white and live in Texas.

But he doesn’t like any diversity that involves the homeless, drug addicts, felons and East Tennesseeans.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That i dont like being looked down on as a whole by a upper class woke lib who likes to live in his woke lib bubble? And that its hysterical watching him trying to shun that portrayal?

Guilty as charged.

6. Tenacious D

He’s revealing his bias?!

In one thread you say that you love “diversity” - consider the meaning of that word, brainiac - but not East Tennesseeans.

7. Tenacious D

Oh gosh, this just reeks of value.

How will my poor kids survive without seeing such intrinsically valuable shit as this?!

8. TennTradition

Yep, rich. Let me roll my carriage out.

You’re being childish and I’m not going to entertain the last points.

If you thought what I said was smug, you could say that. And then we could discuss. However the fact that you instead pulled out the ‘oh woe is me redneck routine’ says a lot.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, I don't think he said anything of the sort.

10. TennTradition

Go ahead and name the way I looked down on you.

11. TennTradition

Are you insane? Where did I say I dislike East Tennesseans? I actually said the opposite a few posts ago and said that the people (as quality goes) are about the same in both places in my second (or so) post on this subject Tues night. You are creating a narrative that doesn’t actually exist.

Like you tend to do.

IP likes this.
  12. TennTradition

Interesting. Let’s break this down.

You are clearly raising the point that I said we don’t really let the kids do one-on-one friend building time with the homeless adults at our church who are presently abusing drugs as an indication that I must really not celebrate diversity. Which I think we can all agree on it’s face is silly. So then what do you really mean.

Let’s see - is this how your game is played?

What you are really saying is that I’m being hypocritical for not choosing to let the kids befriend adult drug addicts or felons while at the same time saying that we decided that going to school with high percentages of other races was positive.

Is that because you see them as dangerous, like I see active heavy drug users?

Interesting. I’m disappointed, TD.

Did I do that right?

13. TennTradition

I’ve made it without it until tonight - but I don’t know how.

14. TennTradition

TD - For the most part, all you have been able to do is get offended because you took my statement of demographic fact (or the idea that my wife or I might prefer a different demographic - politically or racially) as a personal insult and then lobbed childish generalizations and mischaracterizations.

A good point that was made was Card’s point of socioeconomic diversity which I acknowledged was a fair point and discussed ways they do get exposed to various socioeconomic groups - but not as well as they might elsewhere or should. If I’m being intellectually honest, it offered good food for thought, which is why I discussed it.

But of course that was a mistake. Because you are showing some true colors here.

True to form, you proceeded to take that discussion, twisted it into something it clearly wasn’t (both as a matter of intent and abject fact - just because the kids don’t get socioeconomic diversity at school doesn’t mean they are all incredibly wealthy nor did I suggest they are), and continued with your butthurt.

It is remarkable. I’ve gained tremendous insight here. And what’s interesting to me - is that I know you feel exactly the same. Except I don’t think you’ve really heard a single thing I’ve said. From the word go I recognized your position - but I’m no more going to reward it than I would a temper tantrum thrown by my 4 year old. Instead, I’ll just keep explaining why you didn’t get a cookie and you’ll continue rolling around on the floor crying, I guess.

IP likes this.
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Well, we’re still 2 years away and it’s already time to shut this thread down.

gcbvol and TennTradition like this.
  16. Tenacious D

You didn’t include Fulton in your assessment of local schools.

It is a majorly black school.

You don’t like blacks.

You’re a racist.

And a gang rapist.

17. Tenacious D

You want diversity like I want nudes of Hillary.

It’s fun to think about, but you’re not really serious about truly wanting to experience all that it should entails.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

In that case, check your pm's

Poppa T and VolDad like this.
  19. TennTradition

You got me. You got the tater.

20. Tenacious D

Your comment on the intrinsic lack of value for diversity in East Tennessee painted with too broad of a brush. It was, as Card said, condescending. You deserved to get pushed back for that, which was the seed.

The rest of this has been nothing more than amusing myself by making a caricature of what is arguably the nicest and most reasonable guy on the site. Maybe even of anyone I know.

Don’t overthink it.