POLITICS “More Sensitive: Bunnies or East Tennesseans?” Discussion

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It’s rare that anyone argues with you TennTra, much less goes after you.

I’ve legit had great fun, but meant no harm.

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That’s a fair statement that can actually be discussed.

I said a cultural (really racial, but I’ve described how it can yield cultural as well) diversity for a reason. I mean a diverse collection of races where the cultures can be experienced together without one outright drowning out the others. It breeds it’s own culture - I’m sure. And I’m that sense any group is monolithic to itself. But there are real advantages that we see vs where we used to live. And we like that.

However, I agree and recognize that I’m not immersing my kids in everything they would need to eventually understand to appreciate not just diversity but all the underbelly - the racial conflict, racial plights, systematic racism, ‘reverse’ racism, socioeconomic disadvantages (whether or not they come with a different race), etc.

I’ve also readily admitted I didn’t grow up seeing it, went to largely white undergrad, Asian/white grad school, and work with predominately white and Hispanic people. I also fully recognize that I have a lot to learn. We’re hoping we are starting the kids off on a better track with that regard (socioeconomic as before noted, I had a better start seeing a wider range there).

I’m working on learning. My cousin adopted two mixed-race (Hispanic and Black) baby boys about 10 years ago. Her husband has since died. And they live in Austin. I have tried to be an adult male figure for them. But it’s complicated. I don’t understand the world they are faced with routinely. I’ve volunteered, and talked, and listened. But I’m not there. And you do have one element right - that it gets ugly and messy and I don’t want it at times as much as I think I do at other times.

3. TennTradition

I appreciate the sentiment of the latter points but not the process.

As for the first point, I said nothing about the lack of value for diversity in East Tennessee. I said it lacked actual, demographic political or racial diversity. Do you not see the difference.

If I was just looking for folks who ‘value’ diversity I could also move back to Arlington, MA and line with all the white people who value diversity. And I honestly think they do. But that doesn’t present diversity to my children. And instead they would get neither politics or cultural diversity.

4. TennTradition

Well I’m glad that you were at least trolling - if doing so to also make a point that I think is invalid given the evidence in the thread.

5. Tenacious D

Yessah, Mr. Moneybags Boss.

6. TennTradition

Did you change my previous title? I debated but since it was anatomically correct I thought it would be OK. Hopefully you at least got a laugh - even if it was an uncomfortable one, wondering if you, too, even existed.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just had a student move here from Houston. Good kid, very well-rounded. Loves the Hell out of some tea and crumpet.

Next thing you know, East TN will be all cultured and whatnot.

zehr27 likes this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Does he bring a silver spoon to school to eat his lunch?

9. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Born with it. Never leaves the house without it, allegedly.

I thoroughly enjoy this student as they have enlightened me. The comments about "uncultured swine" with the pinky up during tea and crumpet time gets old, but alas who am I to argue?

zehr27 likes this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Smudge*

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I try and then my oldest son shoots the annoying kid at the birthday party in the face with a nerf gun at point blank range and realize I am, in fact, doing it right.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He once sat in a Tampa parking lot waiting on Gruden.

13. TennTradition

Are his parents doing a mission assignment, or what?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  14. TennTradition

Excellent twist at the end. I was wondering what the problem was here.

My daughter took a ball off the face in soccer two weeks ago. Proud moment when she didn’t even really stop despite her lip bleeding. She did look at the boy like she was going to kick his ass and the shook her head and upper body like she was shaking her off a cold chill. Made for a good laugh for everyone (I think the impact was low enough and not hard enough to worry about concussion).

They probably don’t teach that kind of toughness in East Tennessee.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, look at Cade Mays

16. Tenacious D

Fair.

17. Tenacious D

Lord. Help.

18. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

It's a she. Sexist. You must be in the beginning stages, hopefully the East TN can be pulled out of you.

19. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Not possible.

NYY likes this.
  20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My middle girl (3) punched a boy at VB school for pushing her older sister. I'm alright with that too.

lylsmorr and justingroves like this.