'13 TN WR Josh Smith

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Jun 7, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

TOOS analysis

2. tripper

tripper Member

He's from Farragut. Damn good leg. He was in line to start at QB but they didn't want him to get injured.

I follow Knoxville football pretty closely and I'm just shaking my head at these offers. Yea, he had 1900 receiving yards but High threw for over 5000. Some one has to catch the damn ball. Good athlete don't be surprised if he moves over to defense.

People were [itch bay]ing about how many kids Kiffin told to leave but wait until the next coach comes in. He'll be trimming fat until it meets the bone.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

They run the Tony Franklin system. He is a savant of an offensive mind but he didn't invent the offense.

Also, CAK plays with probably the biggest advantage over their competition as any other school in America. If the TSSAA had a sack on them, they would shut down their athletic department until they cleaned up their football program or began competing in the private school division.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hhhhmmmmmmm........

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So, according to this guy, because UT has offered now Alabama will offer. Per VQ

Saban/Bama offer soon to follow
    Saban trusts Dooley and how he evaluates players/talent. How many times in the past few years have we seen Dooley and our staff offer a kid early and then he go on and blow up on the camp circuit. I know Peters wasnt a Bama commit but we were the first big school offer him last year IIRC.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Yea it's a big time advantage to have a tuition of 8K and not offer financial aid; what does it cost to go to open enrollment schools Maryville or Alcoa??? Alcoa and Maryville have much bigger advantages than CAK. TSSAA is getting ready to lump all private schools in the same division.

How did Blevins at Bearden build up his program... recruiting bit his recruiter left so they don't take kids from West and AE anymore.

7. tripper

tripper Member

BS. CAK offers tuition assistance which is directly brought out of their discretionary funds. Bradley has used this to bring kids over to his program. They recruit and recruit heavily, I know. And Pharr is using the same tactics.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  8. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

You can not play sports and receive financial aid. If the football program does recruit what is the difference in what Alcoa, Maryville and Bearden (in the past with basketball) and CAK does?

Tommy Pharr does not have to recruit and I know for a fact he doesn't.

I am a basketball coach at the school; I wish we could offer money for kids that want to play. We have to turn down kids that call about playing basketball all the time because they can't afford tuition.

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Maybe he offers them other things beside financial assistance? Maybe boosters pay the tuition? Maybe the boosters give their parents a better job making enough money to cover the tuition?

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Which is fine, as long as he doesn't bail weeks before his first class comes in.

11. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

At my high school, they wanted a kid so bad, the boosters got together and bought his parents a house in our district so he would go there. There are different ways to "help" or "recruit" other than just paying for their school.

12. tripper

tripper Member

Your right about Tommy he's a hell of a coach but I personally know CAK offers tuition assistance. As does most private schools. I'm not arguing that it's wrong because I really don't care. They have built a solid program.

13. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Sure there are. However, our best player on our team is our PG and a low level D-1/DII prospect and gets nothing. If we, the basketball coaches new football and baseball players families were having houses bought for them we would flip out that they were sharing the love with the basketball program.

Matter of fact there is a kid who wanted to transfer to play basketball at our school, would be our second best player and we had to turn him down because he lives outside of a 20 mile radius... if CAK was buying houses for people do you not think we would have asked for help on getting this kid?

14. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Sure there are. However, our best player on our team is our PG and a low level D-1/DII prospect. If we, the basketball coaches new football and baseball players families were having houses bought for them we would flip they were sharing the love with the basketball program.

Matter of fact there is a kid who wanted to transfer to play basketball at our school, would be our second best player and we had to turn him down because he lives outside of a 20 mile radius... if CAK was buying houses for people do you not think we would have asked for help on getting this kid?

15. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

They do offer tuition assistance but if you receive any of that money you can't play on a TSSAA sanctioned team. That's why Webb plays in private DII so they can offer financial aid to athletes.

16. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

And that's why they are getting ready to group all private schools together. Matter of fact the school is having discussions about how we are going to afford athletic scholarships because that change is coming.

17. tripper

tripper Member

Rather use privates with a multiplier. Too many divisions currently.

I'm out. Heading down to the NUC combine in ATL then back to camp at UT on Monday. Long weekend. Y'all have a good one.

18. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Alcoa and Maryville do not have anything on CAK when it comes to unfair advantages over their competition.

They recruit Knoxville schools like they are Junior Colleges. I believe that I would find a better leg to stand(8K tuition) on because everyone with an IQ above 80 knows how Goodpasture worked passed those same ailments you speak of....

They are not only cheating their opponents but they are cheating the system and the sport.

19. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

The best players at CAK High, Smith and Kenrick receive nothing from the school.

20. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

What about the other players? You keep saying "best" like it means others don't receive anything.