16 yr old defense in DUI deaths --- "Affluenza"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by zero-sum, Dec 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yes, you read right, affluenza.

"16yr old Ethan Couch, a wealthy Texas teen driving while intoxicated hit and killed four people. He was given 10 yrs probation after his defense called himself a victim of "affluenza", a product of an affluent family who have never set limits for him.".

"The judge ruled that Couch did not deserve any jail time as he was a defendant in need of treatment and rehabilitation himself. Prosecutors furious after the ruling had demanded Couch serve 20 yrs in prison for killing four people in a crash in Fort Worth."
    "Couch is set to attend an expensive rehab facility in CA, where his parents will foot a the $500,000/yr bill." -News Republic

Heinous.

Outrageous. Ridiculous. Infuriating. Insulting to victims and their loved ones.

More disturbing details of this needless tragedy are coming to light

“Ethan Couch, 16, was three times over the limit and high on Valium when he mounted a curb in Burleson, Texas earlier this year and plowed into a broken down SUV, taking four lives (a Youth Pastor, mother, daughter and a friend) and injuring more."
    The fatal accident occurred around 11:45pm on June 15. Couch and a group his friends got into a red Ford F350 pick-up and were speeding at 70 mph in a 40 mph zone when the truck left the road. As it careered out of control, it clipped a broken down SUV, throwing the owner and four good Samaritans, who were trying to help, 60 yards in the air, killing them on impact.

Trial notes claim the cocky teenager said 'I'm Ethan Couch, I'll get you out of this,' to one of his passengers at the scene.

It was revealed soon after that his blood-alcohol level was 0.24 - three times the adult limit, though minors aren't allowed any alcohol in their system - and that he was also on the prescription drug Valium when he started the chain reaction of crashes." authorities reported.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ties-home.html

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That'll teach him.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Judge clearly defined limits, here.

5. wildnkrazykat

wildnkrazykat Well-Known Member

That's repulsive.

6. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I actually buy the idea of "affluenza", better known as shitty parenting, but that shouldn't get him off the hook for anything. If they are going to determine that the parents are at fault for creating a situation where their child could kill people, though, then perhaps they should make mommy and daddy serve the jail sentence.

7. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Discusting

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So what should have happened?

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Another example of The Golden Rule.

He who has the gold, makes the rules.

10. JayVols

What would have happened to you or me?

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I honestly have no clue.

12. JayVols

Vehicular homicide.

As adults- felony & prison time.

As a juvenile- juvie detention at the least.

Unless you have money that is.

13. here to lurk

here to lurk Hidden Member

never underestimate how good it is to be a rich white male in America. Granted gender didn't play a role in this case and race probably not a great deal, but were it an averege kid their would have been consequences. And what a way to teach him about right and wrong....don't punish him. geez

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I could see juvie and/or some prison time. I'm not going to jump up and down over the prosecution missing their 20-year prison sentence target. What does that serve?

That being said, if the family were to take matters into their own hands, I'd be pretty lenient with my opinion there too.

15. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Sentencing was 2-20 years. They wanted 5 years per death. That doesn't seem like a lot.

Instead they got below the minimum, on average, per life, of probation.

That is it in context. But maybe 5 years per life taken is a bit much...

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

If anyone wants the cure for affluenza, just send me all your money and I'll make it happen.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I guess I'd take justice in my own hand if he killed someone from my family and that was his punishment

18. JayVols

I can't help but think those killed and their families had no choice or sentencing guidelines to ignore.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The system doesn't even try to hide how it works, nowadays.

If the parents are at fault, let them do time. If the kid is at fault, let him do the time. What they have essentially done is shown the people with affluenza are right.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Changing the variables would make a difference, I agree.