16 yr old defense in DUI deaths --- "Affluenza"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by zero-sum, Dec 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

In my view it doesn't. This has been my argument from the get go.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Read it as the wrong being punished.

And at any rate, you are speaking of the current system, not the proposed, theoretical one.

3. fl0at_

Why does there have to be a benefit?

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Then why have crime and punishment?

5. fl0at_

Because in one instance you have personal damage only, and in the other you have personal damage AND damage to another.

And nothing you do to yourself should be illegal.

6. fl0at_

So that individuals who stray from a societal defined path lose, regardless of whether society benefits.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

To what end?

8. fl0at_

So that the average member of society trends toward walking that path, so that there is long term benefit, even if not short term.

9. fl0at_

Think of it as removing outliers from a graph.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Not an accidental discharge. Just recklessly shooting at random where I walk, which is, in terms of recklessness, similar to recklessly taking the wheel drunk while others are driving in the vicinity.

And, civil cases must determine that someone has been wronged in some manner and to some degree, otherwise why the compensation? Do the litigants just draw lots?

11. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I laughed

12. fl0at_

There are no fault judgements.

Shooting at random where you walk is pretty dickish, what's wrong about it?

13. fl0at_

No fault is poor usage. What I mean is that you don't have to show that something is wrong, just that there was violation.

Like price fixing. Even if fixed for society's benefit, it is still illegal

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So, for society.

15. fl0at_

No, not necessarily. Saying that society might benefit is not the same as saying that the reason is to benefit society.

It is a positive externality.

I might rake my leaves and keep my bushes trimmed and yard landscaped, and as a result, my neighborhood's property value might go up. But that is not why I did it. I did it because I wanted my house to look good. The property value is just an added benefit.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So if not for society, then for what?

17. fl0at_

Order, example, punishment, retribution, payback, payment, law, justice.

Pick one or two.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Again I ask, to whose benefit?

19. kidbourbon

But mens rea is what separates criminal law from tort law. Intent is the essence of criminal law, and rightfully so.*

*What I mean by "rightfully so" is that not every body of law in the US legal system gets it right. Antitrust law, for example, is a vague amorphous blob of contradictory opinions. But our criminal laws, in my estimation, are really good.

20. kidbourbon

Okay, I'll pick one or more.

Payback: no, this is ridiculous. criminal justice systems are designed to ensure that citizens can go about their daily lives, and conduct their daily affairs, without getting jumped on the way to work, or randomly sniped out, or come home to find their house was robbed. It's ex ante. It's not ex post. W
    Punishment: I've already addressed why "punishment" isn't a proper justification for incarceration.
    Retribution: Nope. Again, it's a system to ensure that society can function as a civilized society, and not mogadishu. It's not about getting back at somebody. The State isn't a fourth grader.
    Payment: Huh?
    Law: okay, now you're just throwing out words.
    Justice: and you just did it again.