16 yr old defense in DUI deaths --- "Affluenza"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by zero-sum, Dec 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

He got out in less, but ended up having to go back because he violated his probation by testing positive for marijuana. Later on, he went on to hide the Newsome/Christian killers and is now in prison again. He was not a bright man, but he didn't exude malice or evil either. Seemed like he could have been reformed or corrected early. I worked with him briefly after his first stint. He was pretty bitter about getting sent back I think, though obviously he had some agency in it.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I looked it up. Depending on the value of the vehicle, the max sentence could be 12, 15, or even 30 years.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

these people certainly don't look overly wealthy.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think this instance is significantly different. There's getting an awesome attorney and getting the system to work for you. This was the system admitting that you can't be held responsible because you've been treated like such a special little person. So, we'll just go on treating you like you're extra super special.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How is it the kid escapes punishment but the parents aren't charged with anything? Shouldn't they get some sort of reckless endangerment charge or something for creating a killing machine?

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this was a complete failure of the system. Kid should be rotting like everyone else.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Maybe all this upward class mobility stuff isn't so great after all.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He sucks and so does the mom. The kid never had a chance.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The kid got 2 years in jail today. It's a start.

It's amazing how some folks the same age who haven't killed or even hurt anyone get 10+ years, but this kid doesn't.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm becoming more and more pro-Hunger games style sectioning off, without the actual games.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they key is for you not to be so rich that the kid knows he can **** up and still live comfortably or so rich that the kid never knows failure. lower upper class has to have the best outcomes. no student loan debt, but no trust fund or daddy buying your way into a college or job.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

That's underwhelming

20. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Probably