POLITICS 2018 Midterms

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Oct 5, 2018.

1. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Well this doesn’t seem normal

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Why does florida insist in paper ballots?

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

We still have the "color in the dot" paper ballots in NC (at least in our county).

And our republican controlled state house/senate just lost their super majority status in this election. You should have seen the amendments the wankers had us voting on, you know they are bad when all the past governors (both R&D) run an add telling you to vote no.

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

11/12 of the FL amendments passed. I was shocked.

kmf600 likes this.
  5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

What exactly is wrong with Florida’s election system - for you guys living there? Why do these things always happen?

6. gcbvol

• Paper ballots - allegedly safer, but handling is more complex
    • Probably the purplest of all states - lots of very close races
    • Incompetency

kmf600 likes this.
  7. TennTradition

Is safer better when they screw it up all the time?

Just seems like it would get fixed.

Seems like Pennsylvania is pretty purple, but they manage.

8. gcbvol

PA is likely a lot more competent. I think the combination of all 3 is the primary factor. And let's be clear, Broward county is a BIG part of the problem.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The best ballots.

10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

In NC 4/6 were passed. At least the 2 worst ones failed. My problem with ALL of them was they inserted this, or similar, language:

“The General Assembly may prescribe general laws to further define and implement this section.”

IMO, the purpose of the state constitution is to identify the things that cannot be changed by legislative or executive ruling.

Giving any bunch of politicians, no matter their tribe, the ability to now further define the amendments, after the fact, is complete BS.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

So... thoughts about the Florida recounts and the ongoing senate race in Arizona?

12. CardinalVol

Broward does all they can to fight this statement.

Seems like with every single advamcement we've made in technology we could create a pretty simple electronic voting system for all.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Great now I’ll be singing Purple Rain all day now.

gcbvol likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm fine with an electronic system if there is a hard copy that the voter sees

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I keep reading about how incompetent these Broward county guys are, but shouldn't this be criminal levels of negligence?

I don't know that any vote shenanigans took place, but the rules are in place precisely to mitigate this kind of concern ans now we will always have questions about the totals in this county, either way.

16. TennTradition

I think a simple electronic machine that then also prints something that looks like a receipt would be great. Receipt gets dropped in the sealed ballot envelope tied back to your pin. These can be checked against each other later if needed.

17. CardinalVol

I'd be fine with this.

18. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

You would think. I mean the current Broward County Supervisor of Elections, Brenda Snipes, violated federal law by destroying ballots in 2016, yet she still has a job.

justingroves likes this.
  19. CardinalVol

I know 0 about Florida election law, but this seems like a good summary.

20. gcbvol

This is a good breakdown. I think Scott is absolutely correct to call out the history of incompetency and lack of transparency. However, claiming widespread fraud and liberals trying to steal the election (no proof) is irresponsible.

On the other hand, if there's anyone who would know about fraud it's Rick Scott.