2020-21 Basketball Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Apr 25, 2020.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If I can see the bucket it’s a good shot

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Why is that? The Blues were top ten in the league in shot metrics and top five in expected goals. Advanced stats favored them to win the Central, although they were underdogs against the Sharks. That doesn’t seem like a weird run that ought to engender skepticism.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

It seemed like every metric picked the other team in 6. Maybe I don’t fully understand it all.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I don’t have a way to go back and check what people were doing at the time, but hockey advanced metrics really didn’t get going until the last few years. I remember in the early 2010s, the stats guys basically tracked nothing but shot attempts and hadn’t been able to isolate anything indicating that shot quality was a repeatable skill (on a team level), while the traditional hockey guys stubbornly stuck to +/-. In the last few years, there has been more acceptance of going beyond just looking at goals and the eye test, and advanced stats have pressed beyond just counting shots towards quantifying expected goals and trying out a bunch of individual-level stuff with passing and zone entries/exits.

That said, (1) I don’t remember the exact state of the debate in 2018-19, (2) analytics seem to be changing every day, and (3) it’s hockey—upsets happen all the time (unless you really think the 2018-19 Blue Jackets were significantly better than the 2018-19 Lightning...)

5. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I haven’t tracked it that closely. We probably came up as winning a few more we shouldn’t have according to this metric - but we didn’t
    care due to the outcome or opponent or both.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, it was our losses.

7. KyleAlexanderfan

Doubt Pons plays tonight.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Feels like a big win so probably going to be a head-scratching double digit loss.

IP likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ole miss will do some zone and trapping stuff, so it depends on if we attack or let them dictate

10. KyleAlexanderfan

Pons playing sounds like.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

Haven’t had my ear to the ground since the game but Barnes said he could’ve returned against Kansas but they didn’t need him to

12. KyleAlexanderfan

Lmao. Why did Nkamhoua do that.

13. KyleAlexanderfan

Yeah - just assuming swelling could get bad or something.

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Feels like that's an easy tech?

15. KyleAlexanderfan

Normally. But he got owned. Deserved it.

16. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

That was a completely horseshit call on Vescovi. Under the basket and sliding.

17. KyleAlexanderfan

Agreed.

18. Unimane

These refs [uck fay]ing suck.

19. KyleAlexanderfan

That over the back on Fulky is BS as well.

20. Unimane

They are a team who will make this game ugly.