8th Gardening thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by farmersdaughter, Jun 26, 2013.

1. farmersdaughter

farmersdaughter Active Member

ewwwwwwwwww, I bet they would slurp like a sonic milkshake

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got a skid loader and a mini excavator and my wifecalls them my Tonka toys.

I drag our driveway all the time just because. I love running the mini ex too

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

As soon as I get the field next to my mom's house bush hogged, I'm hooking up the landscaping box and going to town on my driveway. It's gotta quit raining eventually, right?

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I just got a little green.

5. JayVols

I finally got the Troy-Built run through the entire garden. It was a tad wet still, but dang. It's rained enough to float an ark this last week. I saw a window before another gully worsher is supposed to hit tomorrow, so I took it.

The squash and cucumbers are coming in. I've got 7 squash and 6 cucumbers the last 2 days. I'll have triple that number of cucumbers by mid week. Then it's pickle making time! I do enjoy making a good kosher dill.

6. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

And I love eating them, especially when they are chilled well,

7. JayVols

If I have some made and I can make it to your show, I'll bring you a jar. I stumbled on a new recipe last year. They're as good as any I've eaten. Crunchy too.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Sounds like a plan. I'll get you in free.

9. farmersdaughter

I would love to have that recipe Jay, if you don't care

10. JayVols

It's simple. Very simple. Ball (the jar company) makes a kosher dill mix. All you do is bring 2 cups of white vinegar, 1cup of water and 1/4 tablespoon of the spice to a boil. Stir often. Then you just ladel the liquid into your jar filled with cucs. Seal the jars and let cool to room temp. Then refrigerate. In 3 weeks, you have crispy pickles. The instructions are on the spice jar. It's the easiest I've ever tried.

You can water bath them or make some that will last a few months.

Here's the mix you buy:

[​IMG]

11. MWR

MWR Contributor

Sounds good, and I don't even like pickles.

12. farmersdaughter

The monsoons have drowned our squash and zucchini. We did put up 53 quart bags of corn in the freezer. The okra is starting to come in and the melons and lopes are gonna run us of the ridge

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i've been making pickled onions recently. very good. sound liek a lot of vinegar though. i usually use one to one.

14. Vologistics

Vologistics New Member

Im attempting a plot in a community garden for the first time. We got a late start due to lots of rain and cold weather in memphis, but its looking pretty good so far!

[​IMG]

Purple hull peas, squash, sweet corn, tomatoes, jalapeƱos, mixed peppers, walla walla onions, snow peas, string beans, cantaloupe, purple tomatillo, bell pepper

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Really impressive. How does the community thing work? If it's like it is around here, one or two does all the work and then everyone else wants the fruit of your labor.

16. Vologistics

Vologistics New Member

The city offers up a ton of plots on a first come first serve basis. It's free of charge with one till, but $20 for a second. We keep all of our produce under the condition that you don't sell it.

17. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Natural remedies for pesticides in the garden? Sevin dust ain't cutting it ... something is eating my squash and zucchini to shreds.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Chickens

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That's a really good deal

20. farmersdaughter

Guineas are the berries for pest control, but will eat tomatoes up