8th Gardening thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by farmersdaughter, Jun 26, 2013.

1. farmersdaughter

farmersdaughter Active Member

Been debating this for a few days. I know we have a few gardeners on here and its that time of year, so post up your garden and harvest pics, tips, and such. I will more than likely stealing any good tips lol. In my garden I have peaches & cream and golden queen corn, blue lake and roma beans, yellow crookneck squash, straight eight cukes, bell and jalepeno peppers, white and red potatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, some kind of yellow tomatoes that pap saves the seed from every year. We also have a separate acre of watermelons ( congo, black diamond, sugar baby, and charleston) and sweet potatoes ( jewel, beaureguard, white crystal, and stokes purple). so what have yall got growing?

edit: forgot old fashioned red okra

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I plant clover for deer. I'm going to try my hand at soybeans this fall

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

got some great artichokes and cucumbers (for pickling). i planted tomatoes and i have 1/3th the amount i had last year. same tomatoes, same soil, same fertilizers, same temperatures, same water (as far as i remember). i don't get it.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Silver queen and peaches and cream corn- crookneck squash- red and Clemson spineless okra- burpless and pickling cucumbers- celebrity, Mr. Stripey, Cherokee purple, and German maters (if they're big, this may be your yellow maters)- cantelop- crimson sweet, Charleston gray, and sugar baby watermelons.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Cabbage, potatoes, corn, beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, squash, watermelons, and pumpkins. Also angus beef on the hoof

6. JayVols

You might have a blight. It happens.

7. farmersdaughter

when we plant ours we always put a spoonful (or thereabouts) of coffee grounds and oyster shell in with the plant because everything I have always read said calcium is essential to tomatoes. Artichokes are one thing I would love to grow, along with an asparagus bed, but I would be the only one eating them. I am making pickles today

8. farmersdaughter

Cabbage moths destroyed my cabbage overnight, so no garden kraut this year

9. farmersdaughter

we had blossom end rot hit ours one year. We ended up with maybe 10 tomatoes out of the whole garden

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You got to 8 dust them. I cut three heads on monday. Good thing about cabbage is you can keep replanting late into the year, so you're not out of luck yet.

11. JayVols

Bloom end rot is caused by a calcium deficiency.

Dros, try Yield Booster Blossom End Rot Spray to see if that helps.

[​IMG]

12. farmersdaughter

may try to replant then. I couldnt believe how fast they got eaten

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't see any obvious rot or anything. i also planted serano peppers and ancho chilies and they aren't doing shit. actually the only thing that really did well was the artichokes (which i've never planted before). i wonder if i need to plant them away from the other stuff.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i googled it and it's not what is happening, we just got a lot fewer tomatoes and many are smaller too. my beafsteak tomatoes look like normal ones. strange. i'll try the yield booster anyway. can't hurt.

15. farmersdaughter

Was there anything special you did for artichokes? Id like to try maybe 2 plants to see what I could get

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not at all. you plant them in the fall and you get the chokes starting in the spring. you didn't have to water them much. of course my zone is perfect for growing them. ours got HUGE. 2 little plants turned into plants like 5 feet by 6 feet. that's why i'm wondering if they effected the other plants. next time i'm going to isolate them.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I believe you just found your answer. They've taken all of the nutrients out of the ground. Chicken shit and compost should get you back on track.

18. JayVols

Its not expensive. You just mix a couple of caps in a gallon sprayer of water. If you don't have a lot of stuff, you'd be better off buying the pre-mixed stuff.

It's supposed to help you have more yeild too. Good luck.

You might try some Miracle Gro too.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think that's the only rational explanation.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my wife gets a little crazy about anythign that isn't "natural." i realize it's all the same shit. maybe i'll just buy it and do it and act surprised she would have had a problem with it.