8th Gardening thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by farmersdaughter, Jun 26, 2013.

1. MWR

MWR Contributor

Looking good.

2. MWR

MWR Contributor

Looks like you've done a pretty good job of wiping them out, whatever they were. :)

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've never posted a pic from mobile, and it looks like I'm not going to start today.

5. MWR

MWR Contributor

It could be a gardening thing. :)

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

FD, do you check the ripeness of the small melons the same as any other? I use the- when the white spot on the bottom turns cream colored- method.

7. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I am trying to determine why I see erotic undertones.

8. farmersdaughter

farmersdaughter Active Member

Pap always tells us to wait till the stem on the melon starts to wither, I roll with the crap shoot method, if it makes a nice hollow sound and the belly is good and pale its fair game

9. MWR

MWR Contributor

I go with the "they're ripe when the twig is brown and curled up" method. Cantaloupes on the other hand, I use the "you can smell them when they are ripe" method. :)

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my wife wants to raise chickens. kill me now.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

My sister has pet chickens "for the eggs" nothing says white trash like having chickens running around in your chain link back yard...

12. JayVols

Chickens running around after their head has been chopped of is amazingly entertaining.

13. farmersdaughter

Jay, you're evil lol. Droski, 2 or 3 in a little fancy small "chicken condo" isn't too bad looking, but I will be the first to admit yard birds look weird in the 'burbs. Zoning ordinances my prohibit ya'll from getting any though

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

oh it perfectly legal. i'm more concerned about the noise and chicken shit.

15. JayVols

Beware of histoplasmosis.

16. JayVols

But it's the truth, no?

17. farmersdaughter

Yes, it is something to see. Been pickling today, got a later start than I wanted. Dills and onions.

[​IMG]

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You all should have seen the look on my neighbor's face when I told him I was thinking about fencing in the back half of my lot and putting goats or hogs on it. His eyes got as big around as saucers.

19. JayVols

Nice. I've got some burpless coming in. My squash has baby crook necks. I finally got cages over my 'maters too.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Anyone know a good way to keep hornworms away? I've had a couple show up in my rather limited garden every year, but this year is exceptionally bad for some reason. I've had the kids pick them off, but I'd rather not have them show back up. Will Sevin dust keep them away?