8thMaxim's 8thMail

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Pics@8thMaxim, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

The Dooz requested an add-on that would allow 8th members to email funny, neat, historical, mobile or whatever, pictures from their phones, or wherever, that would then be automatically posted here. We therefore unproudly present 8thMail.

8thMail is very simple to use. All you have to do is email any image you want posted here and within 5 minutes, or so, the image will be posted to this thread. Anything placed in the subject line will be ignored. Anything placed in the body of the email will be sent. This means if your email account uses a "tag" with name, address, phone number, job, whatever, it might get included. Just be aware.

You can contact a mod for the email address, or, use a little bit of problem solving, based on my username, to figure out the email address.

We have very few rules, but I think we can all follow the following:
    1. Never post the email address, anywhere, other than a PM. We don't want to deal with spam.
    2. No nudity.
    3. Use your best judgment.
    4. Anybody can, for now, use this system. If it is abused, or starts getting spam, we will have to turn it off, briefly, and start instituting checks to verify the authenticity of the user.

What gets stored on the server:
    1. Only the image. We have taken strides to remove EXIF data (which can contain GPS coordinates) from the images. This means camera phones snapping pictures shouldn't include any ascertainable information other than just the image. Should something come to our attention, we will take corrective measures to remove any identifiable information. Should something need be deleted, simply request deletion by a mod.
    2. No usernames are attached to images. If you send a pic, and want everyone to know who sent it, put something in body. Otherwise, nobody will know who sent the email.
    3. Emails are immediately deleted after posting. This is for your protection, so that your email and thus email address is never kept in the Inbox. We will be able to trace who sent emails, should an issue arise, but the email addresses are encrypted in the logs, and not plain text.

Finally, we are going to, for the moment, use "moderated posting" on 8thMail. This will be done for a week or so, or until mods get tired of approving messages. This will give everyone a chance to test the system, without risking information being sent in the email they don't want posted, such as a signature with their name, phone number, etc. Mods will review the image, and then determine whether or not to allow the image to post.

We hope this goes off without a hitch. We've tested it for a week or so, and all the problems we originally found were corrected. Now we are opening it up to everyone, and if any problems are found, we'll try to correct them as quickly as possible.

We hope to see some great images.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

awesome

3. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

NYYVOL's time to shine!

[​IMG]

4. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

5. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

SEC! SEC! SEC!

[​IMG]

6. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

7. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Way to crash the script in the first 5 minutes, guys.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

9. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When the techie guy says it's ready to go live, we assume it can handle anything.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It handled everything we threw at it, it just didn't like being moderated and posted everything over and over again, until someone approved the message.

It shouldn't have, though. Which is what puzzles me. It is, presumably, fixed now. But until we test further, I'm manually executing the script every hour or so.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Google cringes

13. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

14. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Ok. I tried this. Apparently I'm not smarter than a 5th grader and can't figure out what to send it to.

15. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Stupid tree snakes.

17. Pics@8thMaxim

Pics@8thMaxim New Member

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Look at the username they're being posted under. Send it there.
    Write anything in the body that you want published with the picture. Don't write anything you don't.
    For now, while its being refined, Float only refreshes it about once an hour, so you might wait to see it.
    Once it's all set, and all tests are complete, pics should post in under 5 minutes.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This could have been taken at my house.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Also, has everybody figured out you can enlarge the image by clicking on it?