A Look into PSU sanctions

Discussion in 'Sports' started by InVolNerable, Jul 23, 2012.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So did the school get burned down or no?

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Mission accomplished, then.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Disagree completely. Penn State facilitated all of this madness and Penn State is getting punished. Coaches and other individuals are hired to represent the university.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

No innocent lives are being "ruined" any more than when a company gets shut down for any reason. Those individuals can move on without penalty to other places for sports, education, employment, whatever. This isn't the first time something inconvenient has happened to good people.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The only people that I feel sorry for is the local businesses that are dependent on Penn State football.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is true. For them, this sucks.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Fair weather capitalists. They picked the wrong school, right? Businesses fail for all sorts of reasons every day. Today, it is because a school covered up child molestation to the effect of creating more victims.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, but it is the first time everyone seems to be rather encouraging of it; near jubilant, it seems.

9. CardinalVol

You probably need to read my stance in this thread.

You are right, but it does suck.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was mostly trolling the conservative base of the forum. It does suck.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

It has been hollow, for me. In the end, it doesn't really change anything at all.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm not calling for the government to give them assistance till the program turns around. I believe in risk and reward, but it sucks that the risk was a bunch of officials covering up child rape to save "the program".

13. fl0at_

And... public opinion is positive... for Penn State?

You all make it seem like without this specific punishment, Penn State walks away looking angelic. That isn't the case, and it isn't your point... but mine, and possibly Bills is that a punishment that doesn't punish the student body... is still an acceptable punishment. It still serves the point.

Destroying Penn State athletics, destroys Penn State's athletics. It does nothing to punish those that allowed the incident to happen in the first place. If you want to punish those people, I'm all for it. Hell, put the BoT on trial. But why punish everyone else, that had nothing to do with it?

Because it injures Penn State? Penn State's image is already demolished. Now... friggen go after the people that tarnished the image, not the collateral.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think t he BoT will get what is coming.

15. fl0at_

Yea, they'll lose their jobs. A few of them will even get pretty decent exit parachutes, I'd bet.

But thank god we got those evil bastards that screwed them children... the swim team!

16. CardinalVol

I saw someone somewhere say that by Penn State signing on to this in agreement, that it gave two things.

1. It's a semi-self-imposed penalty

2. They are saying "we are guilty" and opening the floodgates of lawsuits.

17. fl0at_

Given Penn State's track record for doing the right thing... I think they screwed up here, too. So, good on them for consistency.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

The only thing they can do is just bow up and take the hits. They've earned them, and it is the only way they'll ever survive to get past this. It'll take 20 years.

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I don't recall saying that you, "condoned what happened" - could you point out where I did?

Heaven forbid that others have to "adjust their lives" for their participation - however inactive, secondary or tertiary - in a system-wide culture that treated JoePa with such blind reverence as to make him the college's de facto emperor, and as such, could unilaterally choose to selfishly and recklessly place the interests of his beloved football program and close friend above those of innocent and largely defenseless children whom he abused. And how did this man come to enjoy such a lavishly imbalanced and unchecked level of power and autonomy, exactly? Because he stole it? Demanded it? Perhaps - but it was largely and voluntarily heaped upon him, over the span of decades and by everyone in the Penn State family, and where all reasonable and necessary constraints not only failed, but worse, were never employed.

And exactly why weren't they? Was it because some confusion could arise in the reasonable mind as to which deserved the greatest consideration and protective care, when comparing the rights of a child to not be raped, and those of something so comparatively meaningless a football program?

While there are those who are directly involved who should suffer both criminal and civil penalties in all of this, to let the rest of the Penn State family - the same people who's blind admiration and reverence for JoePa fueled the very culture by which these failing were made possible, is in my opinion, to allow those most culpable to escape.

However innocently or unknowingly they may have intended it, or could have possibly foreseen the events as they transpired, the fact is that their love for JoePa and the football program he lorded over was the necessary ingredient in forming the collective blind spot by which this all occurred, was covered up and perpetuated. as it was this strength that gave him the ability to do all that he did and continued to do. While it was certainly in their absence, but to be sure, it was inarguably on their behalf.

For years, they chose JoePa and their unchecked devotion to his football program over the the protection of children and the punishment of a child rapist. So, let them now have it all - his decaying flesh, their beloved larger-than-life program (literally), and the unprecedented punishment that both seeks to stain their past and to destroy their future - and in spades.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

When did public opinion become part of any punishment? Paterno and friends, some still employed at PSU i'm sure, covered up child molestation to protect the football program and now what they fought to protect is suffering