A Look into PSU sanctions

Discussion in 'Sports' started by InVolNerable, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

"The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is a voluntary membership organization of colleges and universities that participate in intercollegiate athletics."

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

All of this. There is a lesson for all of us in this story. Nobody is infallible. Everyone needs to be accountable to someone. And you can't trust people to be honest enough to be accountable to their faith/god/guiding principles without someone in the flesh keeping up with them.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Penn State is an image. It exists only as a public opinion. It is an entity.

For example, what can you tell me about Pepperdine? So... the punishment to Penn State has already been done. People don't want to go there. They don't want to be affiliated with the University. A lot of alumni are ashamed.

So... "Penn State" has been punished. And now, further punishment will be done, not only to Penn State, but everyone else... that had nothing to do with anything.

The people that haven't been punished, so far, were... the ones... that actually... covered it up.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If I'm Bill O'Brien, I'd be tendering my resignation effective immediately.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Hope you have $4M on hand to pay in the next 30 days if you do.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So, now anyone that commits a wrongdoing can just have their image tarnished as an acceptable punishment with no further action needed. Someone let Manson out, he was too severely punished.

Joking aside, The criminals were hired to represent PSU and the athletic department at PSU failed to do anything about anything. Now, they are the main entity being punished.

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

These particular penalties seem to create a feeding frenzy on Penn State athletes that seems totally counter-productive to the idea of "student-athlete". These penalties don't reflect care about the student-athlete. They are about wielding a big-stick and looking tough lest someone criticizes them the umpteenth time for being lethargic. The NCAA mandate seems limitless at this point.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'd be shocked if there wouldn't be a pretty easy way to get out of his buyout.

9. CardinalVol

As of now, every legal person that I've read on Twitter that read the contract says he is screwed.

TIFWIW

10. fl0at_

So, you really believe that individuals are not only legally, but ethically as well, equal to corporations and the like? Interesting.

How are those in charge of the Athletic Department at the time punished by this? They get fired? Oh no, not that, anything but that... that's terrible.

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

1. It was not my argument that equated the transferring of a student-athlete to another school as "ruining their lives", be it "another school" or "any ol' school" or even "any ol' old school"

2. Emmert was clear that no penalty could justify the atrocities that had occurred. I am unaware of anyone claiming that they did, or were even intended to do so. These measures are purely punitive in nature, to be sure. And they've done exceptionally well, toward that end. Agree? Thought so. (I hope you devolve to G,S,M, shortly)

3. So, your argument is that only the administrators and JoePa share any culpability in this episode, whatsoever, and that only they deserve punishment. Is that correct? Then you must agree that the vacation of wins was also unjust, too, right? How about the future loss of scholarships? I'm just trying to understand which of the punishments you believe to be unfair or unjust? You do realize that the 'AA is a voluntary member organization, right?

4. If Penn State felt like they have been unduly punished, they could file an appeal, or they could simply withdraw from membership, which would void all of the penalties recently levied against them. Or, they could attempt to compel the other member institutions to aide in their defense of these heinous and unjust penalties, and with a simply majority, could not withdraw them, but run Emmert out on a rail, to boot. Of course, the facts that they have already agreed to the penalties, have waived their right to appeal, are not abandoning their 'AA membership, have neither solicited nor received any groundswell of support from their fellow members, including those of their own conference (who, admittedly, may have first wanted to finish the crafting of their own and additional penalties to those already imposed by the 'AA, before kicking the "Save Penn State" campaign off) should in no way dissuade you and Bill that you're wrong, or that you don't know best in this case. Please, continue in your defense. It's stirring, really.

12. fl0at_

Screw them, jo. They can go somewhere else.

Because transferring schools is really easy. Cheap too.

Probably wouldn't have to take any classes over, either.

/sarcasm

13. CardinalVol

You don't think a player would have tons of people pretty much taking care of the entire process if they did choose transfer?

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Since you are big on images, this further tarnishes the images of those involved that these sanctions happened on their watch

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd say with USC that the overwelming majority of transfers did so because they wanted out of USC anyway. i'm not sure transfering is really going to kill these kids. as for the fans and such these are the same people who donated record $$$ after it was released their administration protected a child molester. it's pretty obvious they needed some sort of wake up call as well.

16. fl0at_

[/quote]

1. Did you not say that they had the option to transfer, therefore it was all daisies and sunshine? Yea... you implied exactly that. And that isn't the case. For some, and this will be hard to fathom, if they don't go to School X, it is the end of the world. Why? Because Daddy went there. And Granddaddy, and everyone else. And networking is important, to some. So this isn't a case of simply "you have the option to transfer, therefore your life isn't ruined."

2. It was an implication. See, you implied that since the punishment wasn't as bad as the action, that it was acceptable. That has been a recurring theme. It is stupidity itself to hold this belief, but especially to spew this belief. Unless you would like to tell me what your statement... truly meant. And, no, I disagree. So that is two shit assumptions you've made today. On a roll buddy.

3. Yes. The vacation of wins is nothing but pettiness. They are trying to cause harm to JoPa's image. Nothing more. IT does nothing else. Do you not agree? Tell me, specifically, what taking away football scholarships does... to the people that covered up this crime. What does it do? You aren't punishing those that actually did the crime.

As to the voluntary nature of the NCAA. Yea. It is voluntary. If you don't want athletics. That isn't voluntary, that is coercion.

4. What choice do they have but to accept, in this case, you Richard? Do you think they will have member groups come to their support? Is leaving the NCAA a truly viable option?

This is a case of being bullied. If you can't see that, you are either blind or incapable of perceiving anything beyond what is written in black ink on white paper.

17. fl0at_

If they are studs, absolutely.

And if they aren't? Well, screw them for not being better, right?

18. CardinalVol

Assuming there are 85 scholarship guys on the Penn State roster, my guess is all 85 could transfer to a FBS or FCS school if they wanted, no questions asked and would have everything they wanted taken care of.

19. fl0at_

Dude, we aren't talking about only football here, man. Haven't many said, for years, that football dollars pay for other sports?

Do think the friggen golf team is going to get everything they want taken care of? No. Do you think this sanction will hurt other sports? Yes. Can those other sports transfer just like the football team? No.

There is more... than football. That has always been the point.

20. fl0at_

Dude, we aren't talking about only football here, man. Haven't many said, for years, that football dollars pay for other sports?

Do think the friggen golf team is going to get everything they want taken care of? No. Do you think this sanction will hurt other sports? Yes. Can those other sports transfer just like the football team? No.

There is more... than football. That has always been the point.