A Look into PSU sanctions

Discussion in 'Sports' started by InVolNerable, Jul 23, 2012.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Dave Wischnowsky, CBS Chicago, tweeted this and has been followed up on by a couple other stations' talking heads. Looks a little iffy, especially the 1AA nomenclature as opposed to FBS/FCS, but if even some of this is slightly true then it seems to be a pretty ****ing punishment:

Wischnowsky's Tweet

Football Operations

Suspension of Football operations for 1 year to facilitate all transfers.

Special dispensation will allow players not to count against
    scholarship numbers of acquiring teams.

Reduction of scholarships by 8 for 5 years beginning in 2014

Beginning in 2014, option to field team in Division 1AA, or
    secondary sub division.

Records from 1998 will be vacated.

Financial

Ticket revenue offset payout given to scheduled opponents
    for 2012 season to compensate for no games.

No Television until 2015.

Bowl Ban until 2015.

No scholarships for 2013.

Current roster allowed to transfer without penalty.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

How is that different than a 1 year death penalty?

Wow - WOW - if true.

3. InVolNerable

This seems worse than the death penalty. Compare it to this (SMU's sanctions):

• The 1987 season was canceled; only conditioning drills were permitted during the 1987 calendar year.
    • All home games in 1988 were canceled. SMU was allowed to play their seven regularly scheduled away games so that other institutions would not be financially affected.
    • The team's existing probation was extended until 1990. Its existing ban from bowl games and live television was extended to 1989.
    • SMU lost 55 new scholarship positions over 4 years.
    • SMU was required to ensure that Owen and eight other boosters previously banned from contact with the program were in fact banned, or else face further punishment.
    • The team was allowed to hire only five full-time assistant coaches, instead of the typical nine.
    • No off-campus recruiting was permitted until August 1988, and no paid visits could be made to campus by potential recruits until the start of the 1988-89 school year

4. TennTradition

What I meant by how is that different than the 1 year death penalty was - how is forcing one year of suspense play not a 1 year death penalty?

5. TennTradition

I had previously estimated 9-10 scholarships for 5 years. I thought that might be a bit high, but sounds like it might not be too far off.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I wouldn't be mad if this were true. Definitely not what I expected, though

7. TennTradition

Portion about their numbers not counting against their new teams actually hurts our chances since we have a few scholarships to give.

8. InVolNerable

That's what I was thinking also. Like the guy said, take the listing with a quite a bit of salt. But even pick and choose a few of the ones he listed and it's still a brutal punishment.

9. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

suspension of one year to facilitate transfers would be the death penalty... the only thing we know for sure is that they aren't getting the death penalty, so I don't buy into that one at minimum. I see something like bowl suspension for 3-5 years, loss of around 8-10 schollies per year, or they might prorate it like they did USC. I can't imagine Emmert won't give every single player the option to transfer freely if it's a bowl suspension of 4 years or more. I also can't imagine they would take away the limiting of scholarships from other teams. Now way would a team with no openings be able to come in and pick up all these players.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Not buying this until King Emmert says it.

11. InVolNerable

12. InVolNerable

- Fine of $60 million, funds to establish endowment of programs around the country for child abuse (1 year gross Revenue for PSU Football)
    - 4 year postseason ban
    - scholarships reduced to 15 for 4 years
    - Open reign on transfers for all students
    - Current atheletes can stay on scholarship and don't have to play football as long as they stay in good academic standing.
    - All wins back to 98 vacated (Paterno down to 297, Bowden is at 377)
    - 5 years probation
    - NCAA can sanction individuals involved with the situation after current hearings are over

13. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

WOW!! They hammered them. Good job!

14. tripper

tripper Member

PSu signed consent decree with the NCAA, no appeal.

15. Oldvol75

Said that PSU agreed to the sanctions.

16. Oldvol75

Thanks for typing faster than me.

17. Oldvol75

No Death Penalty but Life Without Parole.

18. tripper

tripper Member

Smart phone doing it's work.

19. InVolNerable

15 scholarships for 4 years is brutal. The bowl ban is pretty bad too considering that after these next four years, they likely won't be making a bowl any time soon either.

20. InVolNerable