Are we so lucky?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by DC Vol, Oct 27, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if you offered strong $5 mil he wouldn't have come?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

goes hand in hand. If you aren't willing to pay for a premiere staff why would a top end coach think you are willing to do the other things needed for a top program?

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

you have a lot of people contributing to that 5 mil, all with different thoughts and large egos who are unused to being told no. you are oversimplifying a more complicated process.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the same can be said at most major programs.

5. KennyR

KennyR Member

They're not going to pay up or give the control that a big name coach is going to require. We've been down that road twice. Last time they actually tried to make a splash was with kiffin and we all know how that turned out. If he does leave I hope they do pony up and bring in a championship capable coach, anything less would be a down grade and more years of rebuilding.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

of course. it wouldn't surprise me if Michigan is worse than Tennessee in that regard. Which is why "just offer him a cool $5 million" is kind of silly to say.

7. cpninja

cpninja Member

Are we back to assuming that we would hire someone worth a damn? Because I'd be terrified that we'd somehow hire someone who was even less competent than what we have now.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm suggesting that tenn as a destination isn't nearly as bad as some think and certainly not repairable. just look at the support butch has received. certainly contradicts the theory that Tenn is a job other coaches would not want. I am not suggesting that the athletic department isn't completely screwed up.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Are you sure you on the right board?

10. JohnnyQuickkick

I think Tennessee is a great destination. I just think hiring a new coach is a lot harder than people make it out to be, regardless of destination.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

this is where I am. Let this guy recruit for a couple more years, see what happens, and maybe at least get a new AD before the next one.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

The only appropriate description of Butch on game days in his 2 seasons is a complete godamn fiasco. It's not hard to upgrade on Saturdays.

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

I'm torn on this one

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I'm in.

Someone needs to get Sab to send Butch a 'never leave me' love letter.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

get the right AD and you'll be able to hire pretty much anyone who is available. the top end guys want to be treated a certain way and it's pretty clear this administration thinks they are the alpha in the pack rather than the football coach. that has to change.

16. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

I could see us promoting Bigeastian.

17. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

if the 15 class holds together, i'll be apathetic either way. i just want to win, i don't care who the coach is.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you certainly shouldn't fire him after this season, but no man can recruit at a top level forever without showing signs of life on the field. he should be fired if the team isn't materially better next year.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hear Kiffin is available. Coach O too. Let's get the band back together.

20. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

i'll turn in my fan card if they do.