Assistant Coach Adam Howard Resigns

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Volsfan31, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Do we WANT to keep Tyndall at this point? Would we rather he be fired?

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Don't really care. Just want Fart and Butt Cheek gone

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I've rarely been more indifferent to a UT hire than Tyndall. He just screams mediocre. If he helps get Hart and Cheek out of here, he becomes far more esteemed in my book.

4. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Or, are the rats jumping ship? Seems early to be giving up the paycheck, but .... WTH, let's rip off the bandaid and get it over with.

And, where the hell is Hat? This is his domain, though Tenny understands this F'd up AD as well as anyone.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

i was pretty optimistic about him despite not being my first choice.

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Could easily be that.

But, if you're the assistant...you don't jump IF you think you're going to get pinched, you hang in as long as possible. Make them fire you "for cause", and have a chance at resigning, maybe a settlement. To resign now is to guarantee unemployment and no $.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Could also be that he has turned on Tyndall, and is cooperating with the investigation in exchange for immunity / lesser penalty.

I'd resign quickly, too, if I'd made that decision. You can't stay after that.

Again, just thinking about any possible scenario.

8. TDVol1989

Unless you have options. Justin Wilcox & co. w/ddiapos. Or, you have "incentivized" resignations for show. Shart has to be thinking self-preservation here as well. Huge embarrassment for him.

9. TDVol1989

Very good point. One guy already rolled over. Figure out who is gonna win and get on their side. If you save some ass in the process, all the better.

10. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I agree with this.

11. kidbourbon

I don't buy this one. This would be like the equivalent of giving Henry Hill complete immunity and putting him in the witness protection program so that they could use him to get to Jimmy Burke.

Seems a little silly if Jimmy Burke isn't one of the most ruthless mobsters of all time but rather a college basketball coach who greased a few palms to get some better players.

12. kidbourbon

If this were the scenario why would he be leaving?

13. kidbourbon

Right, you have options because Tyndall found you a gig and slipped you a 100K in unmarked bills as a "moving gift"* in exchange for your willingness to make your own life easier and Tyndall's life way way easier.

*Immigrant labor isn't as cheap as it used to be

14. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

And unless the 'AA has offered him a job (which doesnt happen), there is no protection program. What good does "immunity" do if you'll never get another coaching gig again?

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

This whole thing just takes any air out of the sails for this season. Wasn't this assistant Tyndall's right hand man? How well can you coach after losing your main guy that has been with you since forever?

I almost want to say burn it to the ground and write this season off.

16. TDVol1989

It seems a bit odd to work for a guy that you are in the process of selling out. That is no judgment on who did what wrong. But, if the story is anything at like "I did what I was told", leaving now that you realize it's wrong is better than waiting until it all goes down. Otherwise it appears you stood by by Tyndall.

17. TDVol1989

People leave jobs with enhanced severance packages all the time. I have paid people a severance if they quit. Not sure why you think this is so odd. We are all speculating here and it is very unusual for these resignations to happen at this point. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

18. TDVol1989

If the guy you work for is about to get sent up the river, it is better to disassociate yourself sooner if that is an option. I don't know all the details, but if an assistant is going to claim ignorance at some level, it would help their next interview to say you chose not to work for a cheater...of course that depends on the school as some may prefer cheaters.

Years ago I worked for a guy that was suspected to have a "conflict of a interest" situation, but neither me nor my coworkers knew if that was true. He was awfully close friends with a contractor, but we didn't see any accounting detail. One of the reasons I took a transfer was to get out of that situation. He was caught 12 mo later and termed. I was considered wise for leaving.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I can't recall a single time where an assistant close to a head coach resigned in a situation like this that turned out well for the head coach.

20. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

What the hell has happened to Tennessee?