POLITICS Back to School

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by warhammer, Jul 3, 2018.

1. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And I fully and utterly support your right to believe in God how you see fit. I even hope and pray you are right and that Jesus will meet you in Heaven when you die, for your own happiness. Sincerely.

Buy, please, don't force your beliefs on my children as they walk into their publically funded school.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I hear you and understand

3. NorrisAlan

And for the 90% of the rest of the population that cannot afford to simply uproot and move? That is Tyanny of the Majority and the Constitution was put in place to protect us from this.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I’m always surprised when someone asserts a position because it’s what they grew up with. It seems like the oddest way to suggest something.

5. Ssmiff

Its always odd when people dont agree

6. TennTradition

With you?

I can’t imagine that to be odd.

IP likes this.
  7. NorrisAlan

I would argue that the position of "that's how I grew up" is a position of stagnation and defeat.

Nothing ever changes with this outlook.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Hitchhike or take the bus to Canada. Declare amnesty at the border. If unaccompanied minors can do it through Mexico, I'm sure you can manage the Midwest in 'merica.

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for a minute that this is Option A. Regardless, a state employee acting in the role of their job cannot participate in much less force someone to take part in a religious activity. What an administrator, teacher, or coach does when they're off the clock is their business.

10. Ssmiff

Its my choice, and im not going to conform to anything society tells me I should do, especially in present time. Liberty and Justice for all. Sounds terrible.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

What does your opinion matter about a public school forcing others to adhere to your religious belief because you erroneously believe that things are worse now than in the halcyon days pre-1970s America?

12. Unimane

Why are you suddenly arguing about your rights when your opening position was completely opposite for those who don't agree with your religious system, or, better, using the government to force your beliefs on others?

13. NorrisAlan

And that is awesome! I just hope it is through introspection and not blanket trust in the past.

14. Ssmiff

Hell naw. I grew up southern baptist among the most judgemental people in the world. Started a relationship with God outside the church in and after college.
    I think it would be easy for those that dont want to pray or take part to stay seated or go out of the room, or maybe those that do can go out and have their own time. Telling kids they cant talk about God when every other topic is ok, shouldnt be ok for anybody, but is for some reason.

15. TennTradition

Your choice.

I’m just saying that it always sort of surprises me - even though i know it shouldn’t at this point - when someone supports or explains his/her choices with the fact that it is how they grew up.

When it comes to thing like food, I sort of get it. Practices like tradition? Ok- I get some people don’t want Christmas to change. Though I’d rather make my own traditions but by definition traditions can be what you grew up with. But beliefs? Always seems like an odd explanation of why you hold them (to me).

16. Unimane

Kids can talk about god whenever they want, but a coach, who represents the school (and, hence, government) can't since we have a first amendment. The idea that god has been removed from schools is false, other than some overzealous administrators enforcing the rules incorrectly, just that they can't force religion on kids.

17. NorrisAlan

Seriously, who is telling kids they cannot talk about God?

18. Ssmiff

I find it hard to understand why its hard to understand. Im not supposed to like God in the pledge, or not supposed to be good with my coaches praying for the safety of the kids? Why would that change.

19. Ssmiff

Can kids meet at school and pray together? Can they have a God based club at school?

20. TennTradition

I don’t know what it’s like today...but as long as it was student led, it was kosher when I was in school.