Barry Sanders

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Feb 11, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'd argue that a consistent 5 yards per carry is far better for offense efficiency than two negative plays followed by a 20 yard run.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That said, put sanders on emmitt smiths cowboy team and the dude runs for 25000 yards.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no doubt, but didnt' Detroit take him out in goal line situations? remember this is splitting hairs over who is the GOAT, not arguing barry wasn't spectacular.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Bo Jackson, and it's not even debatable, IMO.

I can't think of another back I'd take ahead of him, when he was healthy.

5. NorrisAlan

Oh, I know you are not saying he sucks. Dude was the best I ever saw play, bar none. Just different than say Smith or Payton.

I would watch that crap Detroit team just to watch sanders run.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Would have been interesting to see his career had he a) not played baseball and 2) not injured himself

7. NorrisAlan

What is funny is I never think of him. Partly because he played part time but mostly because he was a shooting star, and gone so fast.

But yes, when healthy his combination of size, strength and speed was unmatched.

Good call.

8. NorrisAlan

I beleive if he had not gotten hurt he could have been a dual hall of famer.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

speed and strength off the charts. his vision was pretty overrated though. guy never rushed for 1,000 yards in a season. and btw i probably watched every game he ever played with the raiders. hard to know how much of that problem was limited experience though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

It's a tough question because the criteria is too subjective.

If you're going to weight "durability" in the equation, Bo takes a sizable hit. If you're talking "longevity", then Brown, Sanders and Terrell Davis (if he's in the conversation) get serious hits, compared to the likes of Smith, Payton, etc.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if he had devoted 100 percent of his time to the craft of being a rb he could have been unstoppable.

12. NorrisAlan

Davis takes a hit, but sanders and brown walked away on their own volition, not because of injuries or poor performance.

13. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

"I totally agree." -Pete Carroll

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

pete didn't pick reggie bush either.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Not that I remember.

They did give Corey Schlesinger quite a few goal line carries, but he was a 260 lb fb that broke people's facemasks when he blocked them.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Barry Sanders missed seven games in a 10 year career.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

according to this they took him out after 1992:

http://www.footballdiner.com/nflbarrysanders.html

Detroit Lions coaching staff from 1992 onwards preferred having a bigger, power-back in on these situations, and took Sanders out of the game

some good pro barry stuff in this article btw.

18. NorrisAlan

Just watching him make all world defenders break their ankles trying to grab him was worth the negative plays.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

But Bush illegally pushed it in.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sanders.