Being White is a Privilege...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 21, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Like anything else the debate here is about degrees. You seem to think it's the primary reason minorities don't succeed in this country. I'd argue it's a very small part of the puzzle.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Everyone that has read this thread has disagreed with you. Congratulations.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Have you gone undercover with dangerous gangs in the inner-city? If not, you don't know as much as Unimane.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

He teaches ethnic studies classes. He has to believe this garbage. Otherwise he'd feel like he was wasting his life (might want to look into that).

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I never did and I was poor! Amazing. Yet, nearly every black kid I've worked with, of all stripes, have their stories.

I have yet to see a person here correctly understand the concept of white privilege. Apparently, if it's not 1950s Mississippi, then it doesn't exist. It's more subtle and ingrained within our society.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I'm a bad parent. WHY didn't I teach them to be White????

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Go "work with" some poor white folks that live in a trailer park infested with drug use, and they'll have "their stories" about police activity too.

8. Unimane

No, that's just something labeled upon my arguments by Law and a couple of others. There are numerous factors that are at play and I don't have the time or energy to put down a 10 page thesis on a message board. The argument here was white privilege and its existence, which is the strict focal point, for me, in this thread.

9. Unimane

Go [uck fay] yourself on that one. I don't insult your profession and I am very happy and proud of teaching those classes (which are not even 1/2 of my class load).

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

White privilege sounds like a cop out to me. I agree with whoever said social/economic status has more to do with the opportunities someone is afforded.

11. Unimane

So, now you are psychic? Everyone who has read this? Nothing like an appeal to bandwagon for a logical fallacy.

12. Oldvol75

I got to go to college because I was a big, fast, white boy. My parents could have never paid for me to go. I paid out of my own pocket, for my children to go to school. Thats the difference. Some people won't get off their collective butts to make themselves better. They would just rather have others give to them. Since you know so much about the inner city, just how come there are some that choose to get out and make something of themselves? There are a lot of examples of this happening. If a person is motivated by their environment to achieve, they will. Why haven't you motivated those you worked with to better themselves?

13. Unimane

Perhaps because they are dealing meth from said trailer houses. Yeah, I've been in that environment, too. I'll tell you what I haven't seen, an honor student from those trailer parks getting shit walking down the street from the cops. Guess where I'm going with this?

Still, this is a very narrow aspect of the concept we're getting into here and doesn't completely explain the full concept.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I've said it numerous times in this thread; a poor black kid born today is in a better position to succeed than a white poor kid.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I'm simply adopting your logic.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

You are lucky. I'm sure if i was black i'd would have got pulled over more often, but sometimes just being young and driving around at 2 am is reason enough to get pulled over. But once again we are talking about degrees. And i'm not sure getting pulled over by law enforcement is proof positive it's harder to get employed as a black person. My company gives bonuses to management for every minority or female employee who gets hired and they are not alone.

17. Oldvol75

I'm very unhappy with all of you now. I got on here to let some caulk cure so I can paint over it. You guys are "keeping me down"! Now I can't finish it.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

You just see people, many innocent, targeted by the police, not because of their race, but because of where they live. Guess where I'm going with this?

19. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Your years of white privilege made you complacent.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If a black person has a pulse, he or she can basically get into any law school he wants to go to. What an obstacle.