Being White is a Privilege...

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 21, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I've lived in East TN my entire life; my Mom taught school in East TN for 40 years; my Dad worked for DCS for 35 years. I've worked for the DA's office in the summers for 6 years and now have a job there. I didn't assume shit. I've seen it up close from every angle. Trust me, you're wrong.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Historically, they most definitely have and they still aren't represented at the highest levels of power commensurate with their population levels. But, still, where did I say that all non-whites are failing because of white privilege? You're not even using the concept correctly here. It's a built in advantage for whites that exist, not a glass ceiling that exists for all others. It's a matter of greater opportunity afforded by systematic advantages that are slowly eroding, but most definitely still exist.

3. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'd still like you to tell me what built in advantage some poor white kid from Appalachia has over a black person. Just one advantage would suffice.

4. Unimane

Have you had the opportunity to work in an inner city situation, like me, as well as that extensive list of qualifications (that I also possess) from East Tennessee? I don't give a shit what you believe or think you know. I've seen both and, trust me, you're wrong.

5. Unimane

They're still [uck fay]ing white!!! They can go anywhere and still have the vestiges of white privilege to their advantage. How hard is this concept?

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I only said the first thing about it because you decided to list your extensive experience. And, yes, actually, I've worked for the District Attorney's Office in Memphis for the past year. Is that inner-city enough?

7. Unimane

Fine, you're still wrong, although it's getting a little pointless to argue. If you have actually been in both situations and fail to realize the difference, I'm not convincing you on an internet message board. On to the next discussion for me.

8. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

This is the kind of high level analysis I've come to expect.

9. Unimane

My analysis is fine and detailed. I've presented numerous arguments and logical conclusions in this thread, so pulling this stupid ass sarcastic remark with the accompanying arrogance and condescension of "you're wrong" is the type of shit I expect, too, when you aren't able to overwhelm me with your brilliance. Later.

10. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

But it's not a built in advantage for white people. If anything, it's built in advantage for rich people. A kid born in a rich, black family is definitely going to have more opportunities than a kid born in a poor, white family.

11. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Pointing out that there are a lot of black people in jail isn't exactly proof that white people are receiving some large-scale, built in advantage. There's a big difference in saying that a white person is more likely to be born wealthy because of past advantages and saying that some people are given unfair advantages because they are white.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yes, Unimane managed to show that rich white people have an advantage over non-rich people. That's truly groundbreaking.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Thinking that people have an advantage simply because of skin color is shit, in my opinion. Do some people have an advantage because of their environment growing up? Because of their parents? Because they come from an affluent family? Yes. Because of their skin color? No. I've sat here an entire year and watched kids piss away a perfectly good opportunity at an education. Want to guess the ethnicity of the majority of kids that don't give a damn about school? I'll let you guess. Why? Their parents don't give a damn about school. I've seen it first hand. I've tried and tried and tried to make contact with some parents to talk about their child's grades to no avail.They have a golden opportunity to use school to get out of their situation and give themselves an advantage in life. It makes me sad to see kids fall into the sinkhole of their environment. However, that is a choice they make and really has nothing to do with skin color. So I'd call it an attitude problem and not a skin color problem. That's my two cents.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Teen pregnancy and single parent families is the issue IMO. This just isn't a black issue either but is rampant in the black community.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Ding ding ding! Show this man what hes won!

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That glass ceiling sure doesn't appear to have been too sturdy for Asian and Indian immigrants to shatter. Hell, if you look at the Arab community in Knoxville, it appears they must have been the beneficiaries of some sort of privilege. On average, they are doing far better than any other ethnic group here.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

But, you haven't worked in the bowels of the inner-city, Hat. You have no idea what you're talking about.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

poor white kids don't have the advantage of getting full rides to college or preferential employment. Black folks can move from the inner city today. there are no restrictions. Ignoring the inner city culture as a major factor in the lack of upward mobility since the civil rights movement is putting your head in the sand. And explain why 50 years ago every generation of black americans was more educated and richer and that has stopped? Racism is greater than it was 50 years ago?

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

bingo. i'd say a rather significant advantage. the opportunities are endless for a hard working smart black person in this country. Every employment application i've filled out for 20 years has asked my race and it ain't because they are excluding black people from employment. exactly the opposite.

20. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Next time I see an impoverished white person in a tough spot I'll just tell them, "why can't you just get ahead? You're [uck fay]ing white after all and that's all you need!" I'm sure that will immediately open doors.