Brussels terror attack

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Savage Orange, Mar 22, 2016.

1. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Do you think American corporate interests eying American tourist dollars give a flip about human rights?

2. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

We need China, no?

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't thinkwe give two craps about Cuba. Ithink we're right.

4. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Not as much as they need us. Remember, this is a country that spent centuries building walls because they just wanted to be left alone.

5. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Look at the economic projections of American tourism. Do they appeal to the American investor?

Where's droski on this? He'll find the appropriate charts.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems like a one way relationship. not sure what we'd get out of it. I do know that they are expecting a lot of American money to flow in.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think trade with Cuba is a good thing overall. It will help the people there and hopefully give them the means of overthrowing their oppressive government.

8. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

And they'll allow us a healthy roi. The standard inevitable downfall of communism is that there's no money in it. They'll be thrilled with their cut

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The policy is retarded and done zero to achieve its objective. You seem to be quite the advocate that we can do anything we so desire and still have no obligation to anyone.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

How is it retarded? It was in response to Cuba's actions and it has done exactly what it was intended to do. The article below says the Cuban govt estimates the trade restrictions have amounted to over $1 trillion dollars (back in 2013). It has absolutely achieved its objective. The 1996 Helms-Burton Act make it clear that the embargo will not go away until Cuba decides to have a Castro free democracy.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/ameri...end-us-embargo-cuba-20131029181034233544.html

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Don't forget about the Castro sending people over here to steal millions of dollars from medicare.

12. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

No Cuban left behind.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Obligate yourself. We owe people not one thing. Screw them.

Who's advocating that we can do anything? We can't do anything within another sovereign nation, but we can damn sure not give a flying crap about them. We can not trade until they rid themselves of Castros.

It has been brutal ignoring those clowns for the past 50 years. How have we survived?

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I lack the words to adequately describe how paltry and insignificant I find the world's consensus to be.

The embargo was enacted because they are a totalitarian regime of despots who's thirst for and desire to maintain power has not only crippled their country's economic future, while also regularly and continuously violating the human rights of their own people. And this is without even mentioning that these exact same people who quite literally brought humanity to the razor's edge brink of nuclear annihilation, again, simply to protect their own interests and controlling power.

And. Nothing. Has. Changed.

And worse, this very Administration said, not only a year ago, that a normalizing of relations and an official visit would only be possible if the human rights issues were addressed and ceased. They haven't all all - and they even continued to deny the existence of any violations during the state visit - and yet, this President just decided that it wasn't that important, after all, I guess.

Do you think his relenting despite unfulfilled conditions will make easier to achieve a truly free Cuba, or not?

Do you think the next president who deals with the same type of bloodthirsty dipshit will find it easier to convince her/him to change, of not?

It's a damned silly, unnecessary and ignorant precedent to set.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You are legit retarded.

16. Unimane

I'm retarded? Explain to me the objectives of the embargo and tell me how they have been met or in any way a means to the end we desire with Cuba. I'm not some crazy voice in the wilderness, either.

From the state department:

"At the height of the Cold War, and following the Cuban government's expropriation of U.S. properties and its move toward adoption of a one-party system of government, the United States imposed an embargo on Cuba in 1960 and broke diplomatic relations in 1961"

So, yeah, the embargo has been amazingly effective, a net positive for our country and people within these two nations and I'm completely retarded. Got it.

17. Unimane

Yeah, because we never deal with blood thirsty dipshits and the embargo has really been a deterrent to any of those blood thirsty dipshits. Fantastic argument.

And, there is this, for your concerns:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cuba-castro-idUSKCN0WN0HQ

With my special interest, in light of your comments,

U.S. President Barack Obama pushed Cuba to improve human rights during his historic visit to the Communist-led island on Monday, publicly sparring with President Raul Castro who showed flashes of anger and hit back at U.S. "double standards".

Obama praised Castro for openly discussing their differences but he said a "full flowering" of the relationship would happen only with progress on the issue of rights.

"In the absence of that, I think it will continue to be a very powerful irritant," Obama said in a joint news conference with Castro that began with jokes but was tense at times.

"America believes in democracy. We believe that freedom of speech and freedom of assembly and freedom of religion are not just American values but are universal values," he said.

Both men's remarks were broadcast live on Cuban state television from Cuba's Palace of the Revolution in a room draped with the Stars and Stripes and the Cuban flag.

So, it seems as if he has remained consistent in his position.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes, I fully believe that an open Cuba will force changes far faster than us keeping up some embargo because of past policies. See eastern Europe after Glasnost.

You cannot convince dipshit regimes to change, even by placing huge embargoes and sanctions upon them. They just dig in more and more. It hasn't worked for 60 years, why keep it up?

And what is it going to cost the US to open relations and remove the embargo? Nothing. Not one cent. It will only cost the US money if we decide to give them aid, which I am totally against. However, the sudden influx of tourist dollars, goods and services from the capitalistic pig USA will change the people's minds and they will change the state of Cuba.

There is no military threat from Cuba any longer, not since 1989-1992. They are an archaic state that is in its death throes. Opening up the ports will only speed it along that path.

IMHO, of course.

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It was a glorified photo shoot. Cuba is as significant as a hemorrhoid.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Or less.